Phrasal verbs

admin
Site Admin

Phrasal verbs

Post by admin »

Have you ever heard or seen words like "knock out", "work out", "stand up", "sit down" etc.? If you have heard and seen these words then you already know what is Phrasal Verb.
A phrasal verb consists of two parts: a main verb and an adverb particle. You should read, translate and think of it as one structure.
You cannot divide a phrasal verb into parts, because you will get a meaningless sentence then. For example, if you wanted to divide the phrasal verb in the sentence "man, go on" into two parts then it would be the sentence where the man must go to some place (like go to a table) and sit/jump on this place (sit/jump on the table). Meanwhile, this phrasal verb means "to continue to do something", "to continue your work/speech".
You have to read and memorize a meaning of a phrasal verb to understand it. It can be very difficult to figure a meaning of a phrasal verb in sentences on your own. Also the same phrasal verb may have a few meanings in different sentences. You can search on "meaning of {your phrasal verb here}" in Google Search or look up in an English dictionary.
Still, you can guess a meaning of a phrasal verb sometimes. Read a sentence and try to determine a meaning of a phrasal verb. Try to understand a context and look at adverb particles (they are indicators) ("out", "in", "up", "down", etc). They will give you a clue to a right understanding.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Phrasal verbs

Post by admin »

In phrasal verbs a main verb and an adverb particle can be used together or an object (a noun/pronoun) can be between them.
Examples
go on, stand up, sit down
help me out, take it out, pull it out

In terms of word order, there are two types of phrasal verbs: separable and inseparable.

Separable phrasal verbs are transitive (= they take a direct object). The object is underlined below. You can put the object between the verb and particle, separating them:
She took the rubbish out.
Or you can keep the verb and particle together, and put the object after the particle:
She took out the rubbish.
Both ways have the same meaning. However, when the object is a pronoun (e.g. me, you, it), only the separated form can be used. The pronoun must go between the verb and particle.
She took it out.
She took out it.
Even though the separated and unseparated forms are both grammatically correct (except when pronouns are used), in certain contexts, one form or the other may be preferred.
Separation is preferred in spoken English if the speaker stresses the particle with their voice.
Take that rubbish OUT!
(Take OUT that rubbish! is also possible, but less preferred.)
Don't turn the volume UP, turn it DOWN!
(Don't turn UP the volume is also possible, but less preferred.)
On the other hand, keeping the verb and particle together is preferred if the object is long (e.g. more than four or five words) or structurally complex.
It's my job to sort out any kind of problem occurring in our company's computer systems.
She took out all the rubbish from the party.
(The separated versions, e.g. It's my job to sort any kind of problem occurring in our company's computer systems out, are also possible, but less preferred.)

Some phrasal verbs cannot be separated at all. For some verbs, this is because they are intransitive (= they cannot take a direct object).
My job isn't very well paid but it gives me enough to get by.
I grew up in London.
Other non-separable phrasal verbs can take an object. If they have a preposition as a particle, the phrasal verb is always non-separable because the object must follow the preposition.
I came up with a great idea.
I came up a great idea with.
This is also true when using a pronoun.
I've got a great idea! I came up with it just now.
I've got a great idea! I came up it with just now.
However, the direct object may appear earlier in the sentence.
I want to tell you about a great idea that I came up with.
You're a great role model for your younger brother. He's lucky to have you to look up to.

Note. You shouldn't memorize all rules at once. Try to learn a few phrasal verbs and use them in sentences. You will get experience and intuition of how to use separable and inseparable phrasal verbs with time.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There is no hard-and-fast rule that will let you instantly understand all phrasal verbs—many of them have idiosyncratic or obscure meanings (and many have more than one). There are plenty of common themes for the different prepositions, in addition to their literal (usually direction-related) meanings. For instance:

Off often conveys a sense of surprise or something being out of control (go off (=explode), set off, let off (both=cause to explode), make off (=run away), make off with (=steal), )
On often conveys smoothness or harmony (get on (=have good relations with one another), or continuation (go on (=continue, proceed), carry on (=continue))
Up often conveys a sense of something being finished or completed (eat up, drink up, settle up) or of inclusion (count up, make up (=comprise)) or of creation (make up (=invent), dream up, set up)
Out often conveys a sense of something ending, but in a premature or undesired way (fall out(=cease to be friends), drop out (=leave/be expelled), wipe out (=fall off, e.g. a surfboard))
Up often conveys a sense of something is above (look up) or increase (speed up, hurry up (=quickly))
Out often conveys a sense of something is outside (go out(=go outdoor))

This list is far from exhaustive, even for the prepositions listed here; furthermore here are plenty of exceptions to these (for instance to set out to do something means to begin with the aim of doing it—rather than having anything to do with an ending), but as you learn more of these verbs you will get a better feel for the patterns that many of them fall into, and that native speakers often use to coin new ones.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Many phrasal verbs can become nouns.
To show that it’s a noun, you can either put a hyphen between the noun and the preposition (“start-up”) or write it as one word (“startup”). Hyphenated nouns are considered more formal than one word.
blackout = when there is no electricity
breakdown = when something stops working
check-up = a medical exam
kick-off = when a ball game like football or rugby starts
workaround = a partial solution to a problem
show-off = a person who does things to get attention
outcome = result
dropout = someone who leaves school or university early
pull-ups = an exercise in which one hangs by the hands from a support (such as a horizontal bar) and pulls oneself up
push-ups = exercise performed by raising and lowering the body with the straightening and bending of the arms while keeping the back straight and supporting the body on the hands and toes
workout = a practice or exercise to test or improve one's fitness for athletic competition, ability, or performance; a test of one's ability, capacity, stamina, or suitability
knockout = a knockout blow is an action or event that completely defeats an opponent
lookout = a place from which to keep watch or view the landscape
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You may not use phrasal verbs in sentences if you are a beginner, you can replace them with other words. However, you will often see phrasal verbs in books and native English speakers often make sentences with phrasal verbs. Phrasal verbs make sentences shorter.
Try to learn the most important phrasal verbs.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

put on
Place a garment, piece of jewellery, etc. on part of one's body. Synonyms: get dressed in, dress in.
She had put on a cotton dress
Use it when you talk about dressing.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

go on
carry on
Basically they mean the same thing, but in some contexts one usage is more common. The best choice is really context dependent.
"go on" is often used to spur someone or something to start.
Don't wait for us, go on ahead.
and
Q. Am I doing this correctly?
A. Yes you are. Carry on.
Use it as the synonym to "continue".
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

take out
admin
Site Admin