Day16

admin
Site Admin

Day16

Post by admin »

At this point, Mrs. Poppets knocked at the door to know if we were ready for supper. We smiled sadly at one another, and said we supposed we had better try to swallow a bit. Harris said a little something in one's stomach often kept the disease in check; and Mrs. Poppets brought the tray in, and we drew up to the table, and toyed with a little steak and onions, and some rhubarb tart.
I must have been very weak at the time; because I know, after the first half-hour or so, I seemed to take no interest whatever in my food — an unusual thing for me — and I didn't want any cheese.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day16

Post by admin »

At this point, Mrs. Poppets knocked at the door to know if we were ready for supper (en ese momento, la señora Poppets llamó a la puerta para saber si estábamos dispuestos para la cena; at this point — en este momento, ahora mismo). We smiled sadly at one another ( nos sonreímos tristemente mútuamente), and said we supposed we had better try to swallow a bit (y diciendo que creemos que será mejor que tratemos de tragar un poco = deberíamos intentar comer un poco; to suppose — suponer, creer; presumir). Harris said a little something in one's stomach often kept the disease in check ( Harris dijo un poco de comida: "algo" en el estómago era a menudo protege contra las enfermedades /una forma de mantener la enfermedad bajo control/; to keep in check — para mantener bajo control, contener); and Mrs. Poppets brought the tray in ( y la Sra. Poppets trajo una bandeja; to bring in — traer), and we drew up to the table (nosotros nos acercamos a la mesa; to draw up to - acercarse; to draw-drew-drawn), and toyed with a little steak and onions, and some rhubarb tart ( y comí un filetito con cebolla y pastel de ruibarbo; to toy — tocar; girar algo en las manos, divertirse; steak — filete, bistec; tart — pastel casero, pastel).
I must have been very weak at the time (debo haber estado muy débil en ese momento); because I know, after the first half-hour or so ( porque, pasada aproximadamente media hora: "pasada de la primera media hora" o alrededor de ese tiempo), I seemed to take no interest whatever in my food (no parecía mostrar ningún interés = perdí interés por la comida) — an unusual thing for me (cosa rara en mí) — and I didn't want any cheese (y ni siquiera quería queso).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

En ese momento, la señora Poppets llamó a la puerta para saber si estábamos dispuestos para la cena. Nos dirigimos mútuamente una triste sonrisa y decidimos que probablemente nos sentaría bien tomar un bocado. Harris dijo que echarse algo al estómago era a menudo una forma de mantener la enfermedad bajo control, así que la señora Poppets entró con la bandeja y los demás nos sentamos a la mesa y jugueteamos con un filetito con cebolla y un poco de tarta de ruibarbo. Creo que ese día yo estaba bastante enfermo, porque, pasada aproximadamente media hora, perdí interés por la comida –cosa rara en mí– y ni siquiera tomé queso.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

the website helps you to get right meaning
At this point, Mrs. Poppets knocked at the door to know if we were ready for supper (в это время миссис Поппетс постучала/сь/ в дверь, чтобы узнать, готовы ли мы к ужину; at this point — на этой стадии, здесь). We smiled sadly at one another (мы улыбнулись печально друг другу), and said we supposed we had better try to swallow a bit (и сказали, /что/ думаем, нам лучше попробовать проглотить немного = следовало бы немного поесть; to suppose — допускать, думать, /пред/полагать). Harris said a little something in one's stomach often kept the disease in check (Гаррис сказал, немного пищи: «чего-нибудь» в желудке часто предохраняет от болезни; to keep in check — держать под контролем, сдерживать); and Mrs. Poppets brought the tray in (и миссис Поппетс внесла поднос; to bring in — вносить, приносить), and we drew up to the table (мы пододвинулись к столу; to draw up to; to draw-drew-drawn), and toyed with a little steak and onions, and some rhubarb tart (и съели немного бифштекса с луком и пирога с ревенем; to toy — играть; вертеть в руках, забавляться; steak — кусок мяса/рыбы для жарки; бифштекс; tart — домашний торт, пирог).
I must have been very weak at the time (я, должно быть, был очень слаб в то время); because I know, after the first half-hour or so (потому что, через полчаса: «после первой половины часа» или около того), I seemed to take no interest whatever in my food (я, казалось, не проявлял какого бы то ни было интереса = потерял всякий интерес к еде) — an unusual thing for me (необычная вещь для меня) — and I didn't want any cheese (и я не хотел сыра).
Phi

Post by Phi »

At this point, Mrs. Poppets knocked at the door to know if we were ready for supper (en este momento, la señora Poppets llamó a la puerta para saber si estábamos listos para la cena; at this point — en este momento, ahora mismo). We smiled sadly at one another ( nos sonreímos tristemente el uno al otro), and said we supposed we had better try to swallow a bit (y dijimos que creíamos que sería mejor que tratáramos de tragar un poco = deberíamos intentar comer un poco; to suppose — suponer, creer; presumir). Harris said a little something in one's stomach often kept the disease in check ( Harris dijo: un poco de comida en el estomago a menudo mantiene a raya las enfermedades /una forma de mantener la enfermedad bajo control/; to keep in check — para mantener bajo control, contener); and Mrs. Poppets brought the tray in ( y la Sra. Poppets trajo una bandeja; to bring in — traer), and we drew up to the table (nosotros nos acercamos a la mesa; to draw up to - acercarse; to draw-drew-drawn), and toyed with a little steak and onions, and some rhubarb tart ( y jugueteamos con un filetito con cebolla y pastel de ruibarbo; to toy — tocar; girar algo en las manos, divertirse; steak — filete, bistec; tart — pastel casero, pastel).
I must have been very weak at the time (debí haber estado muy débil en ese momento); because I know, after the first half-hour or so ( porque, pasada aproximadamente media hora: "pasada de la primera media hora" o alrededor de ese tiempo), I seemed to take no interest whatever in my food (no parecía mostrar ningún interés = perdí interés por la comida) — an unusual thing for me (cosa rara en mí) — and I didn't want any cheese (y ni siquiera quería queso).

this text was corrected