Day93

admin
Site Admin

Day93

Post by admin »

It did. They started with breaking a cup. That was the first thing they did. They did that just to show you what they could do, and to get you interested.
Then Harris packed the strawberry jam on top of a tomato and squashed it, and they had to pick out the tomato with a teaspoon.
And then it was George's turn, and he trod on the butter. I didn't say anything, but I came over and sat on the edge of the table and watched them. It irritated them more than anything I could have said. I felt that. It made them nervous and excited, and they stepped on things, and put things behind them, and then couldn't find them when they wanted them; and they packed the pies at the bottom, and put heavy things on top, and smashed the pies in.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day93

Post by admin »

It did (так и вышло). They started with breaking a cup (они начали с разбивания чашки = с того, что разбили чашку). That was the first thing they did (это было первое, что они сделали). They did that just to show you what they could do, and to get you interested (они сделали это только для того, чтобы показать, что они могут сделать, и привлечь /к себе/ внимание: «заинтересовать»).
Then Harris packed the strawberry jam on top of a tomato and squashed it (потом Гаррис положил банку клубничного варенья /сверху/ на помидор и раздавил его), and they had to pick out the tomato with a teaspoon (и им пришлось извлекать этот помидор чайной ложкой; to pick out — выдергивать, вытаскивать).
And then it was George's turn, and he trod on the butter (затем настала очередь Джорджа, и он наступил на масло; to tread). I didn't say anything, but I came over and sat on the edge of the table and watched them (я ничего не сказал, а подошел поближе, сел на край стола и наблюдал за ними). It irritated them more than anything I could have said (это раздражало их больше, чем что-либо, /что/ я мог бы сказать). I felt that (я это чувствовал). It made them nervous and excited, and they stepped on things (это нервировало и волновало = тревожило их, они наступали на предметы), and put things behind them, and then couldn't find them when they wanted them (и клали вещи позади себя, и потом не могли их найти, когда они требовались); and they packed the pies at the bottom (они укладывали пироги на дно), and put heavy things on top, and smashed the pies in (и клали тяжелые вещи сверху, и раздавливали их; to smash — разбивать/ся/ вдребезги, ломать, сокрушать).
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day93

Post by admin »