Day92

admin
Site Admin

Day92

Post by admin »

When I had finished, George asked if the soap was in. I said I didn't care a hang whether the soap was in or whether it wasn't; and I slammed the bag to and strapped it, and found that I had packed my tobacco-pouch in it, and had to re-open it. It got shut up finally at 10.5 p.m., and then there remained the hampers to do. Harris said that we should be wanting to start in less than twelve hours' time, and thought that he and George had better do the rest; and I agreed and sat down, and they had a go.
They began in a light-hearted spirit, evidently intending to show me how to do it. I made no comment; I only waited. When George is hanged, Harris will be the worst packer in this world; and I looked at the piles of plates and cups, and kettles, and bottles and jars, and pies, and stoves, and cakes, and tomatoes, etc., and felt that the thing would soon become exciting.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day92

Post by admin »

When I had finished, George asked if the soap was in (когда я закончил, Джордж спросил, внутри ли мыло). I said I didn't care a hang whether the soap was in or whether it wasn't (я сказал, мне наплевать, внутри = уложено ли мыло или нет); and I slammed the bag to and strapped it (я захлопнул чемодан и стянул ремнями), and found that I had packed my tobacco-pouch in it, and had to re-open it (обнаружил, что запаковал в него мой кисет /с табаком/, и мне пришлось снова открыть его; pouch — сумка, мешочек). It got shut up finally at 10.5 p.m., and then there remained the hampers to do (я закрыл чемодан наконец в 10.5 вечера, и теперь осталось уложить корзины; to shut up — плотно закрывать, запирать; p.m. = post meridiem — после полудня). Harris said that we should be wanting to start in less than twelve hours' time (Гаррис сказал, что нам надо бы отправиться /в путь/ раньше: «через меньшее /время/», чем через двенадцать часов), and thought that he and George had better do the rest (/поэтому/ полагает, что им с Джорджем лучше сделать остальное; to think); and I agreed and sat down, and they had a go (я согласился и сел, а они сделали попытку = принялись за работу).
They began in a light-hearted spirit (они начали с веселым: «легкосердечным» настроением; to begin; light-hearted — беззаботный, беспечный, веселый, радостный), evidently intending to show me how to do it (очевидно намереваясь показать мне, как /нужно/ делать это = укладывать). I made no comment; I only waited (я не делал замечаний, я просто ждал). When George is hanged, Harris will be the worst packer in this world (когда Джорджа повесят, Гаррис будет худшим упаковщиком в этом мире); and I looked at the piles of plates and cups (я смотрел на кучи/груды тарелок и чашек), and kettles, and bottles and jars (чайников, бутылок и банок), and pies, and stoves (пирогов, спиртовок), and cakes, and tomatoes, etc. (пирожных, помидоров и т.д.; etc. = et cetera), and felt that the thing would soon become exciting (и чувствовал, что дело скоро станет захватывающим; to feel).
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day92

Post by admin »