Day91

admin
Site Admin

Day91

Post by admin »

My tooth-brush is a thing that haunts me when I'm travelling, and makes my life a misery. I dream that I haven't packed it, and wake up in a cold perspiration, and get out of bed and hunt for it. And, in the morning, I pack it before I have used it, and have to unpack again to get it, and it is always the last thing I turn out of the bag; and then I repack and forget it, and have to rush upstairs for it at the last moment and carry it to the railway station, wrapped up in my pocket-handkerchief.
Of course I had to turn every mortal thing out now, and, of course, I could not find it. I rummaged the things up into much the same state that they must have been before the world was created, and when chaos reigned. Of course, I found George's and Harris's eighteen times over, but I couldn't find my own. I put the things back one by one, and held everything up and shook it. Then I found it inside a boot. I repacked once more.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day91

Post by admin »

My tooth-brush is a thing that haunts me when I'm travelling (зубная щетка — это вещь, которая преследует меня, когда я путешествую; to haunt — навещать; неотступно следовать, мучить), and makes my life a misery (и делает мою жизнь мучением = превращает в мучение; misery — страдание, несчастье, мучения, невзгоды). I dream that I haven't packed it, and wake up in a cold perspiration (мне снится, что я не уложил ее, и я просыпаюсь в холодном поту), and get out of bed and hunt for it (вылезаю из постели и /начинаю/ разыскивать ее; to hunt for — искать; охотиться). And, in the morning, I pack it before I have used it (утром я укладываю ее прежде, чем использовал = не почистив зубы), and have to unpack again to get it (и мне приходится распаковывать /вещи/ снова, чтобы достать ее), and it is always the last thing I turn out of the bag (и она всегда оказывается последней вещью, /которую/ я достаю из чемодана = лежит на самом дне; to turn out — выворачивать /карманы/; выгружать); and then I repack and forget it, and have to rush upstairs for it at the last moment (потом я снова укладываюсь и забываю ее, и мне приходится бежать за ней наверх в последний момент; to rush — бросаться, мчаться, нестись) and carry it to the railway station, wrapped up in my pocket-handkerchief (и везти ее до железнодорожной станции, завернутой в носовой платок; pocket — карман).
Of course I had to turn every mortal thing out now, and, of course, I could not find it (конечно, и теперь мне пришлось вытащить все вещи, и, конечно, я не смог найти щетку; mortal — смертный, смертельный; возможный, мыслимый /в эмоционально-усилительном значении/: to do every mortal thing — сделать все возможное). I rummaged the things up into much the same state (я привел свои вещи почти в такое же состояние; to rummage — тщательно осматривать, обыскивать; рыться; приводить в беспорядок) that they must have been before the world was created, and when chaos reigned (в каком они, должно быть, были до того, как мир был сотворен = до сотворения мира, когда царил хаос). Of course, I found George's and Harris's eighteen times over, but I couldn't find my own (конечно, я нашел /щетки/ Джорджа и Гарриса восемнадцать раз, но не мог найти своей). I put the things back one by one, and held everything up and shook it (я клал вещи обратно одну за другой, поднимал все и встряхивал; to hold up — выставлять, показывать; поднимать; to shake). Then I found it inside a boot (потом я нашел ее /щетку/ в ботинке). I repacked once more (я еще раз упаковал /вещи/).
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day91

Post by admin »