Day88

admin
Site Admin

Day88

Post by admin »

I said I'd pack.
I rather pride myself on my packing. Packing is one of those many things that I feel I know more about than any other person living. (It surprises me myself, sometimes, how many of these subjects there are.) I impressed the fact upon George and Harris, and told them that they had better leave the whole matter entirely to me. They fell into the suggestion with a readiness that had something uncanny about it. George put on a pipe and spread himself over the easy-chair, and Harris cocked his legs on the table and lit a cigar.
This was hardly what I intended. What I had meant, of course, was, that I should boss the job, and that Harris and George should potter about under my directions, I pushing them aside every now and then with, "Oh, you — !" "Here, let me do it." "There you are, simple enough!" — really teaching them, as you might say. Their taking it in the way they did irritated me. There is nothing does irritate me more than seeing other people sitting about doing nothing when I'm working.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day88

Post by admin »

I said I'd pack (я сказал, что упакую).
I rather pride myself on my packing (я весьма горжусь своим упаковыванием = умением укладывать вещи). Packing is one of those many things that I feel I know more about than any other person living (укладывание /вещей/ — одно из тех многих дел, о которых, полагаю, я знаю больше, чем любой живущий /на свете/). (It surprises me myself, sometimes, how many of these subjects there are) (меня самого удивляет иногда, как много таких дел существует; subject — тема, предмет; дело, занятие). I impressed the fact upon George and Harris (я убедил в этом Джорджа и Гарриса: «внушил /им/ этот факт»), and told them that they had better leave the whole matter entirely to me (и сказал, что им лучше предоставить все дело полностью мне = мне одному). They fell into the suggestion with a readiness that had something uncanny about it (они приняли это предложение с готовностью, в которой было что-то зловещее/подозрительное; to fall into — начинать что-либо; приходить в какое-либо состояние; соглашаться с; uncanny — зловещий, сверхъестественный; поразительный). George put on a pipe and spread himself over the easy-chair (Джордж закурил трубку и развалился в мягком кресле; to put on — надевать; запускать, приводить в действие; to spread — раскидывать/ся/, расстилать/ся/, распространять/ся/), and Harris cocked his legs on the table and lit a cigar (а Гаррис закинул ноги на стол и зажег сигару; to cock — поднимать; загибать кверху; to light).
This was hardly what I intended (это едва ли было /тем/, что я предполагал; to intend — намереваться, планировать; подразумевать). What I had meant, of course, was, that I should boss the job (что я имел в виду, конечно, — так это то, что я буду руководить работой; to mean; to boss — быть хозяином, распоряжаться), and that Harris and George should potter about under my directions (а Гаррис и Джордж будут действовать по моим указаниям/под моим руководством; to potter — работать лениво, бездельничать), I pushing them aside every now and then with (я буду их отталкивать то и дело/время от времени со /словами/), "Oh, you — (эх вы)!" "Here, let me do it (эй, дайте мне сделать это)." "There you are, simple enough (вот видите, довольно просто)!" — really teaching them, as you might say (в действительности уча их, так сказать: «как вы могли бы сказать»). Their taking it in the way they did irritated me (их понимание этого = то, как они это поняли, раздражало меня). There is nothing does irritate me more than seeing other people sitting about doing nothing when I'm working (ничто не раздражает меня больше, чем видеть, как другие люди сидят и ничего не делают, когда я работаю).
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day88

Post by admin »