Day86

admin
Site Admin

Day86

Post by admin »

Fond as I am of cheese, therefore, I hold that George was right in declining to take any.
"We shan't want any tea," said George (Harris's face fell at this); "but we'll have a good round, square, slap-up meal at seven — dinner, tea, and supper combined."
Harris grew more cheerful. George suggested meat and fruit pies, cold meat, tomatoes, fruit, and green stuff. For drink, we took some wonderful sticky concoction of Harris's, which you mixed with water and called lemonade, plenty of tea, and a bottle of whisky, in case, as George said, we got upset.
It seemed to me that George harped too much on the getting-upset idea. It seemed to me the wrong spirit to go about the trip in.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day86

Post by admin »

Fond as I am of cheese, therefore (поэтому, как я ни люблю сыр), I hold that George was right in declining to take any (/но/ считаю, что Джордж был прав, отказываясь взять /его с собой/; to hold — держать; полагать, придерживаться /мнения, взгляда и т.д./).
"We shan't want any tea (нам не понадобится чай; shan't = shall not)," said George (Harris's face fell at this) (лицо Гарриса вытянулось при этом; to fall — падать, опускаться; вытягиваться /о лице/); "but we'll have a good round, square, slap-up meal at seven (но мы будем хорошо, плотно, обильно, шикарно есть в семь; to have a meal — есть, кушать) — dinner, tea, and supper combined (обед, чай и ужин одновременно; combined — объединенный, смешанный)."
Harris grew more cheerful (Гаррис стал более веселым = повеселел). George suggested meat and fruit pies (Джордж предложил мясной и фруктовый пироги), cold meat, tomatoes, fruit, and green stuff (холодное мясо, помидоры, фрукты и зелень; green stuff — огородная зелень; свежие овощи). For drink, we took some wonderful sticky concoction of Harris's (для питья мы взяли удивительное вязкое варево Гарриса; concoction — варево, стряпня), which you mixed with water and called lemonade (которое смешивают с водой и называют лимонадом), plenty of tea, and a bottle of whisky (много чая и бутылку виски), in case, as George said, we got upset (на случай, как сказал Гаррис, /если/ перевернемся).
It seemed to me that George harped too much on the getting-upset idea (мне казалось, что Джордж слишком много говорит об опрокидывании; to harp — играть на арфе; надоедливо твердить об одном и том же). It seemed to me the wrong spirit to go about the trip in (мне казалось /это/ неправильным настроем, чтобы начинать путешествие; spirit — дух, характер; душевный настрой, расположение духа; to go about — начинать, приступать).
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day86

Post by admin »