Day84

admin
Site Admin

Day84

Post by admin »

"Very well, then," said my friend's wife, rising, "all I have to say is, that I shall take the children and go to an hotel until those cheeses are eaten. I decline to live any longer in the same house with them."
She kept her word, leaving the place in charge of the charwoman, who, when asked if she could stand the smell, replied, "What smell?" and who, when taken close to the cheeses and told to sniff hard, said she could detect a faint odour of melons. It was argued from this that little injury could result to the woman from the atmosphere, and she was left.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day84

Post by admin »

"Very well, then (что ж, хорошо)," said my friend's wife, rising (сказала жена моего приятеля, вставая), "all I have to say is, that I shall take the children (все, что мне остается /сказать/ — я заберу детей) and go to an hotel until those cheeses are eaten (и отправлюсь в гостиницу, пока эти сыры не будут съедены; to eat). I decline to live any longer in the same house with them (я отказываюсь продолжать жить в одном доме с ними; to decline — склонять/ся/; отказываться; any longer — больше /не/)."
She kept her word, leaving the place in charge of the charwoman (она сдержала слово, оставляя жилище под присмотр служанки; to keep; place — место; жилище, усадьба; charge — ответственность, присмотр, попечение; charwoman — поденщица, приходящая домработница), who, when asked if she could stand the smell, replied, "What smell?" (которая, когда ее спросили, может ли она выносить запах, ответила: «Какой запах?») and who, when taken close to the cheeses and told to sniff hard (/и которая/, когда ее подвели близко к сырам и велели понюхать хорошенько; to tell — говорить; уверять, приказывать), said she could detect a faint odour of melons (сказала, что может уловить = чувствует слабый/легкий запах дынь; to detect — обнаруживать, выявлять, регистрировать). It was argued from this that little injury could result to the woman from the atmosphere, and she was left (отсюда сделали вывод, что незначительный вред для женщины может вытекать из этой атмосферы = такая атмосфера не сильно повредит женщине, и ее оставили; to argue — спорить; доказывать, служить доказательством; to leave).
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day84

Post by admin »