Day83

admin
Site Admin

Day83

Post by admin »

An idea struck her. She said:
"Do you mind keeping them for him? Let me send them round to you."
"Madam," I replied, "for myself I like the smell of cheese, and the journey the other day with them from Liverpool I shall ever look back upon as a happy ending to a pleasant holiday. But, in this world, we must consider others. The lady under whose roof I have the honour of residing is a widow, and, for all I know, possibly an orphan too. She has a strong, I may say an eloquent, objection to being what she terms `put upon.' The presence of your husband's cheeses in her house she would, I instinctively feel, regard as a `put upon'; and it shall never be said that I put upon the widow and the orphan."
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day83

Post by admin »

An idea struck her (/новая/ мысль пришла ей в голову; to strike). She said: "Do you mind keeping them for him (вы не возражаете = не согласитесь ли подержать их для него /у себя/)? Let me send them round to you (позвольте мне прислать их вам)."
"Madam (мадам/сударыня)," I replied (ответил я; to reply), "for myself I like the smell of cheese (что касается меня, /то/ мне нравится запах сыра), and the journey the other day with them from Liverpool (и путешествие с ними на днях из Ливерпуля) I shall ever look back upon as a happy ending to a pleasant holiday (я всегда буду вспоминать как счастливое завершение приятного отпуска; to look back — оглядываться; вспоминать). But, in this world, we must consider others (но в этом мире мы должны считаться с другими; to consider — принимать во внимание, учитывать). The lady under whose roof I have the honour of residing is a widow (дама, под чьей крышей я имею честь проживать, вдова), and, for all I know, possibly an orphan too (и, насколько мне известно, возможно, также сирота). She has a strong, I may say an eloquent, objection to being what she terms `put upon (у нее есть сильное, я могу сказать = я бы даже сказал, красноречивое/выразительное возражение против того, чтобы, как она выражается, ее «обижали»; to term — называть, обозначать; to put upon — обманывать, обижать; эксплуатировать, обременять).' The presence of your husband's cheeses in her house she would, I instinctively feel (присутствие сыров вашего мужа в ее доме она, я интуитивно чувствую; instinctively — инстинктивно, подсознательно), regard as a `put upon' (посчитает «обидой»; to regard — расценивать, считать); and it shall never be said that I put upon the widow and the orphan (никогда не будут говорить = я не допущу, чтобы говорили, будто я обижаю вдову и сироту)."
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day83

Post by admin »