Day82

admin
Site Admin

Day82

Post by admin »

I replied that he had directed they were to be kept in a moist place, and that nobody was to touch them.
She said:
"Nobody's likely to touch them. Had he smelt them?"
I thought he had, and added that he seemed greatly attached to them.
"You think he would be upset," she queried, "if I gave a man a sovereign to take them away and bury them?"
I answered that I thought he would never smile again.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day82

Post by admin »

I replied that he had directed they were to be kept in a moist place (я ответил, что он сказал, их нужно хранить во влажном месте; to direct — управлять, приказывать; to keep), and that nobody was to touch them (и что никто не должен трогать их).
She said:
"Nobody's likely to touch them (маловероятно, чтобы кто-нибудь их тронул). Had he smelt them (/а/ он их нюхал; to smell)?"
I thought he had, and added that he seemed greatly attached to them (я предположил, что да, и добавил, что он, кажется, сильно привязан к ним = дорожит ими; to attach — прикреплять/ся/; располагать к себе).
"You think he would be upset (думаете, он расстроится)," she queried (спросила она; to query — спрашивать, осведомляться), "if I gave a man a sovereign to take them away and bury them (если я дам кому-нибудь соверен, чтобы их /сыры/ унесли и закопали; to give)?"
I answered that I thought he would never smile again (я ответил, что, полагаю, он никогда больше не улыбнется; to think).
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day82

Post by admin »