Day81

admin
Site Admin

Day81

Post by admin »

From Euston, I took the cheeses down to my friend's house. When his wife came into the room she smelt round for an instant. Then she said: "What is it? Tell me the worst."
I said:
"It's cheeses. Tom bought them in Liverpool, and asked me to bring them up with me."
And I added that I hoped she understood that it had nothing to do with me; and she said that she was sure of that, but that she would speak to Tom about it when he came back.
My friend was detained in Liverpool longer than he expected; and, three days later, as he hadn't returned home, his wife called on me. She said: "What did Tom say about those cheeses?"
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day81

Post by admin »

From Euston, I took the cheeses down to my friend's house (с Юстонского вокзала я отвез сыры домой к моему другу; to take). When his wife came into the room she smelt round for an instant (когда его жена вошла в комнату, она принюхалась на мгновение; to smell round — принюхиваться, вынюхивать). Then she said (потом сказала):
"What is it (что это)? Tell me the worst (скажи мне /даже/ самое худшее)."
I said:
"It's cheeses. Tom bought them in Liverpool, and asked me to bring them up with me (Том купил их в Ливерпуле и попросил меня принести их /сюда/; to buy)."
And I added that I hoped she understood that it had nothing to do with me (я добавил, что, надеюсь, она понимает, что я здесь ни при чем; to understand); and she said that she was sure of that (она сказала, что уверена в этом), but that she would speak to Tom about it when he came back (но что она поговорит с Томом об этом, когда он вернется; to come back).
My friend was detained in Liverpool longer than he expected (мой приятель задержался в Ливерпуле дольше, чем ожидал); and, three days later, as he hadn't returned home, his wife called on me (три дня спустя, когда он не вернулся, его жена посетила меня). She said:
"What did Tom say about those cheeses (что сказал Том об этих сырах)?"
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day81

Post by admin »