Day80

admin
Site Admin

Day80

Post by admin »

"What's yours?" I said, turning to my friend.
"I'll have half-a-crown's worth of brandy, neat, if you please, miss," he responded.
And he went off quietly after he had drunk it and got into another carriage, which I thought mean.
From Crewe I had the compartment to myself, though the train was crowded. As we drew up at the different stations, the people, seeing my empty carriage, would rush for it. "Here y' are, Maria; come along, plenty of room." "All right, Tom; we'll get in here," they would shout. And they would run along, carrying heavy bags, and fight round the door to get in first. And one would open the door and mount the steps, and stagger back into the arms of the man behind him; and they would all come and have a sniff, and then droop off and squeeze into other carriages, or pay the difference and go first.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day80

Post by admin »

"What's yours (что будете пить)?" I said, turning to my friend (сказал я, обращаясь к моему приятелю).
"I'll have half-a-crown's worth of brandy, neat, if you please, miss (бренди на полкроны, чистого, будьте добры, мисс; neat — ясный, чистый; неразбавленный)," he responded (ответил он).
And he went off quietly after he had drunk it (он ушел/убежал тихо после того, как выпил бренди; to drink) and got into another carriage, which I thought mean (и сел в другой вагон, что я счел низким; to think; mean — жалкий, низкий, подлый).
From Crewe I had the compartment to myself, though the train was crowded (от Кру я ехал в купе один, хотя поезд был переполнен). As we drew up at the different stations (когда мы останавливались на различных станциях; to draw up), the people, seeing my empty carriage, would rush for it (люди, видя мой пустой вагон, бросались в него). "Here y' are, Maria (сюда, Мария; y' = you); come along, plenty of room (быстрее /иди/, много места)." "All right, Tom; we'll get in here (хорошо, Том, войдем = сядем сюда)," they would shout (кричали они). And they would run along, carrying heavy bags, and fight round the door to get in first (и они бежали, неся тяжелые сумки, и сражались у двери, чтобы войти первыми). And one would open the door and mount the steps (потом кто-нибудь открывал дверь и поднимался по ступеням), and stagger back into the arms of the man behind him (и падал назад на руки человека позади себя; to stagger — шататься; идти шатаясь; to stagger back — отшатнуться, отпрянуть); and they would all come and have a sniff (они все заходили и делали вдох/тянули носом), and then droop off and squeeze into other carriages, or pay the difference and go first (затем поникали и втискивались в другие вагоны или доплачивали разницу и ехали первым /классом/; to droop — поникать, склонять/ся/; увядать, ослабевать).
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day80

Post by admin »