Day79

admin
Site Admin

Day79

Post by admin »

And then they both began sniffing, and, at the third sniff, they caught it right on the chest, and rose up without another word and went out. And then a stout lady got up, and said it was disgraceful that a respectable married woman should be harried about in this way, and gathered up a bag and eight parcels and went. The remaining four passengers sat on for a while, until a solemn-looking man in the corner, who, from his dress and general appearance, seemed to belong to the undertaker class, said it put him in mind of dead baby; and the other three passengers tried to get out of the door at the same time, and hurt themselves.
I smiled at the black gentleman, and said I thought we were going to have the carriage to ourselves; and he laughed pleasantly, and said that some people made such a fuss over a little thing. But even he grew strangely depressed after we had started, and so, when we reached Crewe, I asked him to come and have a drink. He accepted, and we forced our way into the buffet, where we yelled, and stamped, and waved our umbrellas for a quarter of an hour; and then a young lady came, and asked us if we wanted anything.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day79

Post by admin »

And then they both began sniffing (потом они оба начали вдыхать носом; to sniff — сопеть; принюхиваться, вдыхать, втягивать носом), and, at the third sniff, they caught it right on the chest (с третьего вдоха они попали в самую точку/учуяли запах: «поймали прямо в грудь»; to catch — ловить, схватывать; chest — ящик, коробка; грудная клетка), and rose up without another word and went out (встали, не говоря ни слова: «без еще одного слова», и вышли; to rise). And then a stout lady got up, and said it was disgraceful that a respectable married woman should be harried about in this way (потом полная дама поднялась и сказала, что позорно изводить почтенную замужнюю женщину таким образом; to harry — опустошать, разорять; изводить, тревожить), and gathered up a bag and eight parcels and went (взяла сумку и восемь свертков и ушла; to gather up — подбирать, подхватывать; parcel — пакет, сверток, узел; посылка). The remaining four passengers sat on for a while (оставшиеся четыре пассажира продолжали сидеть некоторое время; to sit; on — указывает на продолжение или развитие действия), until a solemn-looking man in the corner (пока мрачный: «мрачно выглядящий» человек в углу; solemn — торжественный; важный, серьезный; мрачный, темный), who, from his dress and general appearance, seemed to belong to the undertaker class (который, /судя/ по его одежде и общему внешнему виду, /казалось/, принадлежит к классу гробовщиков; undertaker — владелец похоронного бюро), said it put him in mind of dead baby (не сказал, что это напомнило ему = ему вспомнился мертвый младенец); and the other three passengers tried to get out of the door at the same time, and hurt themselves (остальные три пассажира попытались выйти из двери одновременно и ушиблись; to hurt — причинить боль, ранить, ушибить).
I smiled at the black gentleman, and said I thought we were going to have the carriage to ourselves (я улыбнулся мрачному джентльмену и сказал, что, думаю, вагон будет для нас = в нашем распоряжении; to think); and he laughed pleasantly, and said that some people made such a fuss over a little thing (он засмеялся радостно и сказал, что некоторые поднимают такой шум из-за мелочей: «маленькой вещи»). But even he grew strangely depressed after we had started (но даже он стал странно подавлен после /того, как/ мы отправились), and so, when we reached Crewe, I asked him to come and have a drink (и потому, когда мы добрались до Кру, я предложил ему пойти выпить). He accepted, and we forced our way into the buffet (он согласился, и мы протиснулись в буфет; to force one`s way — протискиваться, пробираться), where we yelled, and stamped, and waved our umbrellas for a quarter of an hour (где мы кричали, топали/стучали ногами, махали зонтами четверть часа); and then a young lady came, and asked us if we wanted anything (потом барышня подошла и спросила, хотим ли мы что-нибудь /заказать/).
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day79

Post by admin »