Day78

admin
Site Admin

Day78

Post by admin »

I took my ticket, and marched proudly up the platform, with my cheeses, the people falling back respectfully on either side. The train was crowded, and I had to get into a carriage where there were already seven other people. One crusty old gentleman objected, but I got in, notwithstanding; and, putting my cheeses upon the rack, squeezed down with a pleasant smile, and said it was a warm day.
A few moments passed, and then the old gentleman began to fidget.
"Very close in here," he said.
"Quite oppressive," said the man next him.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day78

Post by admin »

I took my ticket, and marched proudly up the platform, with my cheeses (я взял билет и прошагал гордо к перрону со своими сырами), the people falling back respectfully on either side (люди отступали /при этом/ почтительно с каждой стороны). The train was crowded, and I had to get into a carriage where there were already seven other people (поезд был переполнен, и мне пришлось войти в купе, где уже было семь /других/ человек). One crusty old gentleman objected, but I got in, notwithstanding (один раздражительный старый джентльмен запротестовал, но я вошел, тем не менее; crusty — покрытый коркой; сварливый, резкий); and, putting my cheeses upon the rack (кладя сыры на полку; rack — вешалка; полка, подставка, сетка для вещей /в вагонах, автобусах и др./), squeezed down with a pleasant smile, and said it was a warm day (протиснулся вниз = на скамью с приятной улыбкой и сказал, что теплый денек /сегодня/).
A few moments passed, and then the old gentleman began to fidget (несколько минут прошло, затем старый джентльмен начал беспокойно ерзать; to begin; to fidget — проявлять нетерпение, беспокойно двигаться, вертеться).
"Very close in here (очень душно здесь; close — закрытый; душный, спертый)," he said.
"Quite oppressive (совсем нечем дышать; oppressive — жестокий, гнетущий; душный; oppressive weather — душная, знойная погода)," said the man next him (сказал человек, /сидевший/ рядом с ним).
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day78

Post by admin »