Day76

admin
Site Admin

Day76

Post by admin »

I remember a friend of mine, buying a couple of cheeses at Liverpool. Splendid cheeses they were, ripe and mellow, and with a two hundred horse-power scent about them that might have been warranted to carry three miles, and knock a man over at two hundred yards. I was in Liverpool at the time, and my friend said that if I didn't mind he would get me to take them back with me to London, as he should not be coming up for a day or two himself, and he did not think the cheeses ought to be kept much longer.
"Oh, with pleasure, dear boy," I replied, "with pleasure."
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day76

Post by admin »

I remember a friend of mine, buying a couple of cheeses at Liverpool (помню, как один мой приятель купил пару сыров в Ливерпуле). Splendid cheeses they were, ripe and mellow (прекрасные это были сыры, выдержанные и зрелые; ripe — зрелый, спелый, выдержанный; mellow — спелый, сочный, мягкий; выдержанный), and with a two hundred horse-power scent about them (с ароматом в двести лошадиных сил) that might have been warranted to carry three miles (который, пожалуй, распространялся на три мили; to warrant — подтверждать, гарантировать), and knock a man over at two hundred yards (и сбивал человека /с ног/ за две сотни ярдов; yard — ярд /91, 4 см/). I was in Liverpool at the time, and my friend said that if I didn't mind (я был в Ливерпуле то время, и мой приятель сказал, что если я не возражаю) he would get me to take them back with me to London (он попросит меня взять их /сыры/ с собой обратно в Лондон), as he should not be coming up for a day or two himself (поскольку он сам не приедет день или два = вернется через день-два), and he did not think the cheeses ought to be kept much longer (и не думает, /что/ эти сыры следует хранить намного дольше).
"Oh, with pleasure, dear boy (о, с удовольствием, дорогой парень = дружище," I replied (ответил я), "with pleasure."
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day76

Post by admin »