Day64

admin
Site Admin

Day64

Post by admin »

I beg your pardon, really. I quite forgot.
Well, we left the list to George, and he began it.
"We won't take a tent, suggested George; "we will have a boat with a cover. It is ever so much simpler, and more comfortable."
It seemed a good thought, and we adopted it. I do not know whether you have ever seen the thing I mean. You fix iron hoops up over the boat, and stretch a huge canvas over them, and fasten it down all round, from stem to stern, and it converts the boat into a sort of little house, and it is beautifully cosy, though a trifle stuffy; but there, everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day64

Post by admin »

I beg your pardon, really (право, прошу прощения; really — в самом деле, действительно; очень, крайне /для усиления/). I quite forgot (совсем забыл; to forget).
Well, we left the list to George, and he began it (итак, мы предоставили список Джорджу, и он начал его; to leave; to begin).
"We won't take a tent, suggested George (мы не возьмем палатку, предложил Джордж; won't = will not); "we will have a boat with a cover (у нас будет лодка навесом; cover — покрышка, чехол, футляр, кожух). It is ever so much simpler, and more comfortable (это намного проще и удобнее)."
It seemed a good thought, and we adopted it (это показалось хорошей мыслью, и мы приняли ее). I do not know whether you have ever seen the thing I mean (не знаю, видели ли вы когда-нибудь штуку, которую я имею в виду). You fix iron hoops up over the boat (вы укрепляете железные обручи по всей длине лодки; hoop — обод, обруч; ворота /в крокете/; кольцо), and stretch a huge canvas over them (натягиваете огромный /кусок/ брезента на них), and fasten it down all round, from stem to stern (привязываете его со всех сторон, от носа до кормы), and it converts the boat into a sort of little house (и это превращает лодку в своего рода маленький домик), and it is beautifully cosy, though a trifle stuffy (он очень уютный, хотя немного душный = в нем немного душно); but there, everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died (но у всего есть отрицательные стороны, как сказал человек, когда его теща умерла), and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses (и от него потребовали /возместить/ расходы на похороны; to come down on — набрасываться на кого-либо, требовать что-либо; expenses — расходы, затраты).
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day64

Post by admin »