Day56

admin
Site Admin

Day56

Post by admin »

"There!" he would say, in an injured tone, "now the nail's gone."
And we would all have to go down on our knees and grovel for it, while he would stand on the chair, and grunt, and want to know if he was to be kept there all the evening.
The nail would be found at last, but by that time he would have lost the hammer.
"Where's the hammer? What did I do with the hammer? Great heavens! Seven of you, gaping round there, and you don't know what I did with the hammer!"
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day56

Post by admin »

"There (ну вот)!" he would say, in an injured tone (говорит он обиженным тоном; injured — обиженный, оскорбленный; поврежденный, раненый), "now the nail's gone (теперь гвоздь пропал)."
And we would all have to go down on our knees and grovel for it (и нам всем приходится опуститься на колени и ползать, /чтобы найти/ его; to grovel — лежать ниц; ползать), while he would stand on the chair, and grunt (пока он стоит на стуле и ворчит; to grunt — хрюкать; ворчать, бормотать), and want to know if he was to be kept there all the evening (и спрашивает: «хочет знать», не придется ли ему торчать там весь вечер; to keep — держать).
The nail would be found at last (гвоздь находится, наконец), but by that time he would have lost the hammer (но к этому времени он потерял молоток; to lose).
"Where's the hammer (где молоток)? What did I do with the hammer (что я сделал с молотком = куда девал молоток)? Great heavens (о Господи; heaven — небеса, небо; Боже)! Seven of you, gaping round there, and you don't know what I did with the hammer (вас семеро, /стоите/ тут, глазеете и не знаете, куда я девал молоток; to gape — зевать; глазеть; зиять)!"
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day56

Post by admin »