Day55

admin
Site Admin

Day55

Post by admin »

"Doesn't anybody in the whole house know where my coat is? I never came across such a set in all my life — upon my word I didn't. Six of you! — and you can't find a coat that I put down not five minutes ago! Well, of all the —
"Then he'd get up, and find that he had been sitting on it, and would call out: "Oh, you can give it up! I've found it myself now. Might just as well ask the cat to find anything as expect you people to find it."
And, when half an hour had been spent in tying up his finger, and a new glass had been got, and the tools, and the ladder, and the chair, and the candle had been brought, he would have another go, the whole family, including the girl and the charwoman, standing round in a semi-circle, ready to help. Two people would have to hold the chair, and a third would help him up on it, and hold him there, and a fourth would hand him a nail, and a fifth would pass him up the hammer, and he would take hold of the nail, and drop it.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day55

Post by admin »

"Doesn't anybody in the whole house know where my coat is (неужели никто во всем доме не знает, где мой пиджак)? I never came across such a set in all my life (я никогда не встречал таких людей за всю мою жизнь; to come across — /случайно/ встретиться, натолкнуться на; set — набор, комплект; семейство; группа людей /связанных общими интересами, привычками и т.д./) — upon my word I didn't (честное слово, /не встречал/). Six of you! — and you can't find a coat that I put down not five minutes ago (вас шестеро — и вы не можете найти пиджак, который я снял пять минут назад; to put down — класть, опускать)! Well, of all the — (эх, видел я…; of all the — видел я таких…)"
Then he'd get up, and find that he had been sitting on it, and would call out (затем он поднимается и обнаруживает, что сидел на нем, и кричит):
"Oh, you can give it up (можете перестать /искать/)! I've found it myself now (я уже нашел его сам). Might just as well ask the cat to find anything as expect you people to find it (/я/ мог бы с таким же успехом попросить кошку найти что-нибудь, чем ожидать, что вы, люди, найдете это)."
And, when half an hour had been spent in tying up his finger (и, когда полчаса потратили, перевязывая ему палец; to spend; to tie up — перевязывать, привязывать, связывать), and a new glass had been got (новое/другое стекло достали; to get), and the tools (инструменты), and the ladder (лестницу), and the chair (стул), and the candle had been brought (и свечу принесли; to bring), he would have another go (он делает еще одну попытку), the whole family, including the girl and the charwoman (вся семья, включая горничную и поденщицу; charwoman — поденщица для домашней работы; уборщица), standing round in a semi-circle, ready to help (становится рядом полукругом, готовая помочь). Two people would have to hold the chair (двоим приходится держать стул), and a third would help him up on it, and hold him there (третий помогает ему /дяде/ взобраться на него и поддерживает его), and a fourth would hand him a nail (четвертый подает ему гвоздь), and a fifth would pass him up the hammer (пятый подает ему молоток), and he would take hold of the nail, and drop it (а дядя хватает гвоздь и роняет его).
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day55

Post by admin »