Day53

admin
Site Admin

Day53

Post by admin »

He always reminds me of my poor Uncle Podger. You never saw such a commotion up and down a house, in all your life, as when my Uncle Podger undertook to do a job. A picture would have come home from the frame-maker's, and be standing in the dining-room, waiting to be put up; and Aunt Podger would ask what was to be done with it, and Uncle Podger would say: "Oh, you leave that to me. Don't you, any of you, worry yourselves about that. I'll do all that."
And then he would take off his coat, and begin. He would send the girl out for sixpen'orth of nails, and then one of the boys after her to tell her what size to get; and, from that, he would gradually work down, and start the whole house.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day53

Post by admin »

He always reminds me of my poor Uncle Podger (он всегда напоминает мне моего бедного дядю Поджера). You never saw such a commotion up and down a house, in all your life (вы никогда не видели такой суеты в доме за всю свою жизнь; commotion — беспокойство, тревога, суета; up and down — вверх и вниз, вперед и назад; здесь и там), as when my Uncle Podger undertook to do a job (как когда мой дядя Поджер принимался за работу; to undertake — предпринимать, совершать; брать на себя /обязательства, ответственность и т.д./). A picture would have come home from the frame-maker's (картина прибыла домой от рамочника = допустим, от рамочника привезли картину; frame — рама, оправа; каркас), and be standing in the dining-room, waiting to be put up (и /она/ стоит в столовой, ожидая, когда ее повесят); and Aunt Podger would ask what was to be done with it, and Uncle Podger would say (тетя Поджер спрашивала = спрашивает, что следует сделать с ней, и дядя Поджер говорит; would — выражает привычное действие, относящееся к прошедшему):
"Oh, you leave that to me (о, предоставьте это мне). Don't you, any of you, worry yourselves about that (/пусть/ никто из вас не беспокоится об этом). I'll do all that (я /сам/ все сделаю)."
And then he would take off his coat, and begin (затем он снимает свой пиджак и начинает). He would send the girl out for sixpen'orth of nails (посылает горничную /купить/ гвоздей на шесть пенсов; girl — девочка, девушка; служанка; sixpen'orth = sixpenworth; worth — цена, стоимость; to send out — отправлять, посылать), and then one of the boys after her to tell her what size to get (а потом одного из мальчиков за ней, чтобы сказать, какого размера /гвозди/ взять); and, from that, he would gradually work down, and start the whole house (и с этого /времени/ он постепенно занимает /работой/ весь дом; to start — начинать/ся/, приниматься; пускать в ход /машину/, дать толчок).
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day53

Post by admin »