Day50

admin
Site Admin

Day50

Post by admin »

Having thus settled the sleeping arrangements to the satisfaction of all four of us, the only thing left to discuss was what we should take with us; and this we had begun to argue, when Harris said he'd had enough oratory for one night, and proposed that we should go out and have a smile, saying that he had found a place, round by the square, where you could really get a drop of Irish worth drinking.
George said he felt thirsty (I never knew George when he didn't); and, as I had a presentiment that a little whisky, warm, with a slice of lemon, would do my complaint good, the debate was, by common assent, adjourned to the following night; and the assembly put on its hats and went out.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day50

Post by admin »

Having thus settled the sleeping arrangements to the satisfaction of all four of us (уладив, таким образом, вопрос о ночевке ко всеобщему удовлетворению: «всех четырех из нас»; to settle — устраивать/ся/; приводить в порядок, улаживать; arrangements — меры, приготовления), the only thing left to discuss was what we should take with us (единственной оставшейся вещью,
чтобы обсудить было = осталось обсудить, что нам следует взять с собой; to leave); and this we had begun to argue (и это мы начали обсуждать; to argue — обсуждать, рассуждать, рассматривать), when Harris said he'd had enough oratory for one night (когда Гаррис сказал, с него довольно разглагольствований на один вечер; oratory — риторика; красноречие; речь), and proposed that we should go out and have a smile (и предложил нам выйти и выпить чего-нибудь; smile — улыбка; выпивка), saying that he had found a place, round by the square (говоря, что он нашел одно место, недалеко от площади; to find), where you could really get a drop of Irish worth drinking (где действительно можно получить глоток стоящего ирландского виски; worth doing — стоящий, заслуживающий внимания и т.д.).
George said he felt thirsty (Джордж сказал, что чувствует жажду; to feel) (I never knew George when he didn't) (никогда не знал /случая/, чтобы Джордж ее не чувствовал); and, as I had a presentiment that a little whisky (и, поскольку у меня было предчувствие, что немного виски), warm, with a slice of lemon, would do my complaint good (теплого, с ломтиком лимона, принесет мне пользу; complaint — недовольство, жалоба; болезнь, недуг), the debate was, by common assent, adjourned to the following night (обсуждение/дебаты были, с общего согласия, отложены до следующего вечера); and the assembly put on its hats and went out (и /члены/ собрания надели шляпы и вышли; assembly — собрание, сход, общество; to go out).
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day50

Post by admin »