Day49

admin
Site Admin

Day49

Post by admin »

But, when I had paid for about a dozen chickens that he had killed; and had dragged him, growling and kicking, by the scruff of his neck, out of a hundred and fourteen street fights; and had had a dead cat brought round for my inspection by an irate female, who called me a murderer; and had been summoned by the man next door but one for having a ferocious dog at large, that had kept him pinned up in his own tool-shed, afraid to venture his nose outside the door for over two hours on a cold night; and had learned that the gardener, unknown to myself, had won thirty shillings by backing him to kill rats against time, then I began to think that maybe they'd let him remain on earth for a bit longer, after all.
To hang about a stable, and collect a gang of the most disreputable dogs to be found in the town, and lead them out to march round the slums to fight other disreputable dogs, is Montmorency's idea of "life"; and so, as I before observed, he gave to the suggestion of inns, and pubs, and hotels his most emphatic approbation.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day49

Post by admin »

But, when I had paid for about a dozen chickens that he had killed (но когда я заплатил за примерно дюжину цыплят, которых он убил; to pay); and had dragged him, growling and kicking, by the scruff of his neck (и вытащил его, рычащего и брыкающегося, за загривок; to take by the scruff of the neck — взять за шиворот; neck — шея), out of a hundred and fourteen street fights (из ста четырнадцати уличных драк); and had had a dead cat brought round for my inspection by an irate female, who called me a murderer (и /когда/ дохлая кошка была принесена мне для осмотра разгневанной женщиной, которая назвала меня убийцей; to bring round — доставлять, приносить); and had been summoned by the man next door but one for having a ferocious dog at large (/когда меня/ однажды вызвал в суд сосед: «человек /живущий/ следующей дверью, кроме одной = через дверь = через дом от меня» за содержание свирепого пса на свободе; to summon — вызывать в суд; созывать), that had kept him pinned up in his own tool-shed (который держал его /соседа/ пришпиленным в собственном сарае = держал взаперти в сарае; to keep; pin — булавка, кнопка; tool-shed — сарайчик для хранения инструментов; tool — инструмент; shed — навес, сарай), afraid to venture his nose outside the door for over two hours on a cold night (боящегося высунуть нос за дверь, более двух часов в холодную ночь; to venture — рисковать; отваживаться; outside — внешний, наружный); and had learned that the gardener, unknown to myself (и /когда я/ узнал, что садовник, без моего ведома; unknown — неизвестный; тайно, без ведома), had won thirty shillings by backing him to kill rats against time (выиграл тридцать шиллингов, делая ставки, сколько Монморенси убьет крыс; to win; to back — поддерживать; держать пари, делать ставку; against time — в пределах установленного времени; с целью побить рекорд), then I began to think that maybe they'd let him remain on earth for a bit longer, after all (тогда я начал думать, что, возможно, ему позволят остаться на земле немного подольше, в конце концов; to begin).
To hang about a stable (бродить/околачиваться возле конюшни), and collect a gang of the most disreputable dogs to be found in the town (собрать шайку /из/ самых недостойных собак, /каких только можно/ найти в городе; disreputable — пользующийся дурной репутацией, непорядочный, позорный; to find), and lead them out to march round the slums to fight other disreputable dogs (и вести их строем к трущобам, чтобы драться с другими недостойными псами; to lead — вести, руководить, возглавлять; to march — маршировать, идти строем), is Montmorency's idea of "life" (вот представление Монморенси о «жизни»); and so, as I before observed (и поэтому, как я заметил раньше/как уже говорил), he gave to the suggestion of inns, and pubs, and hotels his most emphatic approbation (он дал на предложение /ночевать/ на постоялых дворах, в трактирах и гостиницах свое самое живейшее одобрение; to give; emphatic — выразительный, подчеркнутый).
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day49

Post by admin »