Day48

admin
Site Admin

Day48

Post by admin »

Montmorency hailed this compromise with much approval. He does not revel in romantic solitude. Give him something noisy; and if a trifle low, so much the jollier. To look at Montmorency you would imagine that he was an angel sent upon the earth, for some reason withheld from mankind, in the shape of a small fox-terrier. There is a sort of Oh-what-a-wicked-world-this-is-and-how-I-wish-I-could-do-something-to-make-it-better-and-nobler expression about Montmorency that has been known to bring the tears into the eyes of pious old ladies and gentlemen.
When first he came to live at my expense, I never thought I should be able to get him to stop long. I used to sit down and look at him, as he sat on the rug and looked up at me, and think: "Oh, that dog will never live. He will be snatched up to the bright skies in a chariot, that is what will happen to him."
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day48

Post by admin »

Montmorency hailed this compromise with much approval (Монморенси встретил этот компромисс с большим одобрением; to hail — приветствовать, окликать). He does not revel in romantic solitude (он не любил романтическое одиночество; to revel — пировать, кутить; to revel in — наслаждаться; получать удовольствие). Give him something noisy (дайте ему что-нибудь шумное); and if a trifle low, so much the jollier (а если немного низкое/грубое — тем веселее). To look at Montmorency you would imagine that he was an angel sent upon the earth (посмотрев на Монморенси можно подумать, что он ангел, посланный на землю; to imagine — воображать, представлять себе, полагать; to send — посылать), for some reason withheld from mankind (по какой-то причине, скрытой от человечества; to withhold — отказывать; утаивать, скрывать), in the shape of a small fox-terrier (в виде маленького фокстерьера). There is a sort of Oh-what-a-wicked-world-this-is-and-how-I-wish-I-could-do-something-to-make-it-better-and-nobler expression about Montmorency (Монморенси присуще что-то вроде выражения = его вид будто говорит «о, что за грешный этот мир, и как бы я хотел совершить что-нибудь, чтобы сделать его лучше и благороднее») that has been known to bring the tears into the eyes of pious old ladies and gentlemen (и известно, что этот вид вызывает слезы на глазах: «приносит слезы в глаза» у набожных старых дам джентльменов; pious — набожный, благочестивый).
When first he came to live at my expense (когда он впервые перешел на мое содержание; to come; to live at somebody`s expense — сидеть у кого-либо на шее, жить на чужих хлебах; expense — затрата, расход), I never thought I should be able to get him to stop long (я никогда бы не подумал, /что/ сумею задержать его надолго; to think; to stop — останавливать/ся/, задерживать; гостить). I used to sit down and look at him (я садился и смотрел на него), as he sat on the rug and looked up at me, and think (в то время, как он сидел на коврике и смотрел вверх на меня, и думал): "Oh, that dog will never live (эта собака никогда не будет жить /здесь/ = не выживет). He will be snatched up to the bright skies in a chariot (ее умчат к сияющим небесам в колеснице; to snatch — хватать/ся/, вырывать; bright — яркий, светящийся; чистый, ясный), that is what will happen to him (вот что произойдет с ней)."
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day48

Post by admin »