Day30

admin
Site Admin

Day30

Post by admin »

"Oh, ah — yes," he answered, brightening up; "I remember now. I did have a headache that afternoon. It was the pickles, you know. They were the most disgraceful pickles I ever tasted in a respectable boat. Did you have any?"
For myself, I have discovered an excellent preventive against sea-sickness, in balancing myself. You stand in the centre of the deck, and, as the ship heaves and pitches, you move your body about, so as to keep it always straight. When the front of the ship rises, you lean forward, till the deck almost touches your nose; and when its back end gets up, you lean backwards. This is all very well for an hour or two; but you can't balance yourself for a week.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day30

Post by admin »

"Oh, ah — yes (Oh, ah, sí)," he answered, brightening up (respondió, mientras su rostro se iluminaba; to brighten up — brillante hasta /ser iluminado/, para empezar a brillar; para llenar de alegría); "I remember now ( ahora recuerdo). I did have a headache that afternoon ( Realmente tuve dolor de cabeza ese día; to have a headache — sufre de dolores de cabeza; afternoon — tarde, tiempo después del mediodía). It was the pickles, you know (Fueron los encurtidos = fueron por los encurtidos, ya sabes; pickles — encurtidos, pepinos salados o pepinos encurtidos). They were the most disgraceful pickles I ever tasted in a respectable boat ( estos fueron los encurtidos más repugnantes que jamás he probado en un barco respetable; respectable — honrado, respetable, presentable; bueno). Did you have any (has probado alguna vez /ellos/)?"
For myself, I have discovered an excellent preventive against sea-sickness, in balancing myself ( Como para mí , he descubierto un excelente profiláctico contra el mareo por movimiento, en mantener el equilibrio; preventive — advertido, preventivo; agente profiláctico). You stand in the centre of the deck (te paras en el centro de la cubierta), and, as the ship heaves and pitches ( y cuando el barco se balancea; to heave — tirón, elevar y bajar /normalmente con algún ritmo/; to pitch — caer, cabecear /sobre el barco/), you move your body about, so as to keep it always straight ( mueves tu cuerpo para mantenerlo recto en todo momento; to move about — muévete de un lugar a otro, moverse; para mover; body — cuerpo, torso). When the front of the ship rises, you lean forward ( Cuando se levanta la proa del barco, te inclinas hacia adelante ; front — fachada; lado delantero; nariz de un barco), till the deck almost touches your nose (hasta que la cubierta casi toca tu nariz); and when its back end gets up, you lean backwards (y cuando su parte trasera se levanta, te inclinas hacia atrás). This is all very well for an hour or two (todo está muy bien durante una o dos horas); but you can't balance yourself for a week ( pero no podrás mantener el equilibrio durante una semana).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

–Oh, ah, sí –respondió, mientras su rostro se iluminaba–.
Ya me acuerdo.
Aquella tarde tenía dolor de cabeza.
Era el escabeche, ¿sabe?
El escabeche más lamentable que he probado en un barco respetable.
¿ Lo probó usted?
En lo que a mí toca, he descubierto un excelente preventivo contra el mareo, que consiste en balancearse.
Se sitúa uno en mitad de cubierta y, siguiendo el cabeceo y bamboleo del barco, se desplaza el cuerpo para mantenerlo siempre derecho.
Cuando se levanta la proa del barco, uno se inclina hacia adelante, hasta casi tocar la cubierta con la nariz; y cuando se eleva la popa, uno se inclina hacia atrás.
Da muy buen resultado durante una o dos horas, pero uno no puede andar columpiándose una semana entera.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

the website helps you to get right meaning
"Oh, ah — yes (ах, да)," he answered, brightening up (ответил он, сияя; to brighten up — прояснять/ся/, просиять; наполняться радостью); "I remember now (вспоминаю теперь). I did have a headache that afternoon (у меня действительно болела голова в тот день; to have a headache — страдать от головной боли; afternoon — время после полудня; послеобеденное время). It was the pickles, you know (это были пикули = это из-за пикулей, знаете; pickles — соленья, пикули, соленые или маринованные огурцы). They were the most disgraceful pickles I ever tasted in a respectable boat (это были самые позорные отвратительные пикули, /которые/ я когда-либо пробовал на приличном корабле; respectable — почтенный, представительный; респектабельный; приличный). Did you have any (а вы пробовали /их/)?"
For myself, I have discovered an excellent preventive against sea-sickness, in balancing myself (что касается меня, я обнаружил превосходное профилактическое средство против морской болезни, /состоящее/ в сохранении равновесия; preventive — предупредительный, предохранительный; профилактическое средство). You stand in the centre of the deck (вы становитесь в центр палубы), and, as the ship heaves and pitches (и, когда корабль качается; to heave — вздыматься, подниматься и опускаться /обычно в каком-либо ритме/; to pitch — падать, подвергаться килевой качке /о корабле/), you move your body about, so as to keep it always straight (вы двигаете свое тело так, чтобы всегда держать его прямым; to move about — переходить с места на место, переезжать; передвигать; body — тело, туловище). When the front of the ship rises, you lean forward (когда нос корабля поднимается, вы наклоняетесь вперед; front — фасад; передняя сторона; носовая часть), till the deck almost touches your nose (до тех пор, пока палуба почти касается вашего носа); and when its back end gets up, you lean backwards (а когда его задняя часть поднимается, вы откидываетесь назад). This is all very well for an hour or two (все это очень хорошо на час или два); but you can't balance yourself for a week (но вы не сможете сохранять равновесие неделю).
Phi

Post by Phi »

"Oh, ah — yes (Oh, ah, sí)," he answered, brightening up (respondió, mientras su rostro se iluminaba; to brighten up — brillante hasta /ser iluminado/, para empezar a brillar; para llenar de alegría); "I remember now ( ahora recuerdo). I did have a headache that afternoon ( Realmente tuve un dolor de cabeza esa tarde; to have a headache — sufre de dolores de cabeza; afternoon — tarde, tiempo después del mediodía). It was the pickles, you know (Fueron los encurtidos = fueron por los pepinillos, ya sabes; pickles — encurtidos, pepinos salados o pepinos encurtidos). They were the most disgraceful pickles I ever tasted in a respectable boat ( esos fueron los encurtidos más repugnantes que jamás he probado en un barco respetable; respectable — honrado, respetable, presentable; bueno). Did you have any (has probado alguna vez /ellos/)?"
For myself, I have discovered an excellent preventive against sea-sickness, in balancing myself ( Para mí , he descubierto un excelente preventivo contra el mareo en mar, en mantener el equilibrio; preventive — advertido, preventivo; agente profiláctico). You stand in the centre of the deck (te paras en el centro de la cubierta), and, as the ship heaves and pitches ( y cuando el barco se balancea; to heave — tirón, elevar y bajar /normalmente con algún ritmo/; to pitch — caer, cabecear /sobre el barco/), you move your body about, so as to keep it always straight ( mueves tu cuerpo para mantenerlo recto en todo momento; to move about — muévete de un lugar a otro, moverse; para mover; body — cuerpo, torso). When the front of the ship rises, you lean forward ( Cuando se levanta la proa del barco, te inclinas hacia adelante ; front — fachada; lado delantero; nariz de un barco), till the deck almost touches your nose (hasta que la cubierta casi toca tu nariz); and when its back end gets up, you lean backwards (y cuando su parte trasera se levanta, te inclinas hacia atrás). This is all very well for an hour or two (todo esto está muy bien durante una o dos horas); but you can't balance yourself for a week ( pero no te puedes mantener en equilibrio por una semana).

this post was corrected