Day21

admin
Site Admin

Day21

Post by admin »

I remember my brother-in-law going for a short sea trip once, for the benefit of his health. He took a return berth from London to Liverpool; and when he got to Liverpool, the only thing he was anxious about was to sell that return ticket.
It was offered round the town at a tremendous reduction, so I am told; and was eventually sold for eighteenpence to a bilious-looking youth who had just been advised by his medical men to go to the sea-side, and take exercise.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day21

Post by admin »

I remember my brother-in-law going for a short sea trip once (recuerdo que mi cuñado hizo una vez un corto viaje por mar; brother-in-law — cuñado; brother — hermano; law — ley), for the benefit of his health (por motivos de salud; for the benefit of — para, en aras, para el bien; benefit — beneficio, utilidad). He took a return berth from London to Liverpool ( tomó un billete de Londres a Liverpool y de regreso; to take; return — regreso; billete de ida y vuelta; berth — litera, lugar para dormir ); and when he got to Liverpool, the only thing he was anxious about was to sell that return ticket ( y cuando llegó a Liverpool lo único que le preocupaba era vender ese /ida y vuelta el billete/ billete; to get).
It was offered round the town at a tremendous reduction, so I am told ( /el boleto/ se ofreció en toda la ciudad con un gran descuento, /está es/ me dijeron; round — alrededor, todo al rededor, en todas partes, durante todo; tremendous — aterrador, gigante, enorme; to tell); and was eventually sold for eighteenpence to a bilious-looking youth ( y finalmente fue vendido por dieciocho centavos a un joven con ictericia, enfermo bilioso: "un jovenzuelo de aspecto bilioso"; to sell; bilious — bilioso, ictérico) who had just been advised by his medical men to go to the sea-side, and take exercise ( a quien los médicos acaba de aconsejarle que vaya a la orilla del mar y se mueva más = hacer ejercicio; sea-side — orilla del mar, costa; to take exercise — hacer ejercicio, gimnasia; exercise — ejercicio, entrenamiento).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Recuerdo que mi cuñado hizo una vez un corto viaje por mar, por motivos de salud.
Compró un billete de ida y vuelta Londres–Liverpool, y cuando llegó a Liverpool lo único que deseaba ardientemente era vender el billete de vuelta.
Tengo entendido que lo anduvo ofreciendo por toda la ciudad a un precio extraordinariamente reducido y que, finalmente, lo vendió por dieciocho peniques a un jovenzuelo de aspecto bilioso a quien los médicos habían aconsejado hacer ejercicio en un ambiente marino.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

the website helps you to get right meaning
I remember my brother-in-law going for a short sea trip once (помню, мой зять отправился в короткое морское путешествие однажды; brother-in-law — зять; шурин; свояк; brother — брат; law — закон), for the benefit of his health (чтобы поправить свое здоровье; for the benefit of — для, ради, на благо; benefit — выгода, польза). He took a return berth from London to Liverpool (он взял билет от Лондона до Ливерпуля и обратно; to take; return — возвращение; билет в оба конца; berth — койка, спальное место); and when he got to Liverpool, the only thing he was anxious about was to sell that return ticket (а когда он добрался до Ливерпуля, единственной вещью, о которой он беспокоился, было продать тот /обратный/ билет; to get).
It was offered round the town at a tremendous reduction, so I am told (он /билет/ предлагался по всему городу с огромной скидкой, /так/ мне рассказывали; round — вокруг, кругом, повсюду, на всем протяжении; tremendous — страшный, гигантский; громадный; to tell); and was eventually sold for eighteenpence to a bilious-looking youth (и был в конце концов продан за восемнадцать пенсов молодому человеку, больному желтухой: «желтушно выглядевшему»; to sell; bilious — желчный, желтушный) who had just been advised by his medical men to go to the sea-side, and take exercise (которому его врач как раз/только что посоветовал отправиться к морскому берегу и больше двигаться = делать моцион; sea-side — морской берег, побережье; to take exercise — делать моцион, гимнастику; exercise — упражнение, тренировка; зарядка).
Phi

Post by Phi »

I remember my brother-in-law going for a short sea trip once (recuerdo que mi cuñado hizo una vez un corto viaje por mar; brother-in-law — cuñado; brother — hermano; law — ley), for the benefit of his health (para beneficio de su salud; for the benefit of — para, en aras, para el bien; benefit — beneficio, utilidad). He took a return berth from London to Liverpool ( tomó un boleto de regreso de Londres a Liverpool; to take; return — regreso; billete de ida y vuelta; berth — litera, lugar para dormir ); and when he got to Liverpool, the only thing he was anxious about was to sell that return ticket ( y cuando llegó a Liverpool lo único que le preocupaba era vender ese /ida y vuelta el boleto/ boleto; to get).
It was offered round the town at a tremendous reduction, so I am told ( /el boleto/ se ofreció en toda la ciudad con un gran descuento, /está es/ me dijeron; round — alrededor, todo al rededor, en todas partes, durante todo; tremendous — aterrador, gigante, enorme; to tell); and was eventually sold for eighteenpence to a bilious-looking youth ( y finalmente fue vendido por dieciocho centavos a un joven con ictericia, enfermo bilioso: "un jovenzuelo de aspecto bilioso"; to sell; bilious — bilioso, ictérico) who had just been advised by his medical men to go to the sea-side, and take exercise ( a quien los médicos acababan de aconsejarle que fuera a la orilla del mar e hiciera mas ejercicio = hacer ejercicio; sea-side — orilla del mar, costa; to take exercise — hacer ejercicio, gimnasia; exercise — ejercicio, entrenamiento).

this post was corrected