Day14

admin
Site Admin

Day14

Post by admin »

And they didn't give me pills; they gave me clumps on the side of the head. And, strange as it may appear, those clumps on the head often cured me — for the time being. I have known one clump on the head have more effect upon my liver, and make me feel more anxious to go straight away then and there, and do what was wanted to be done, without further loss of time, than a whole box of pills does now.
You know, it often is so — those simple, old-fashioned remedies are sometimes more efficacious than all the dispensary stuff.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Day14

Post by admin »

And they didn't give me pills (no me daban píldoras); they gave me clumps on the side of the head (me cachetes en la cabeza; clump — matorral; terrón, bulto; golpe). And, strange as it may appear (y, por extraño que parezca, puede parecer), those clumps on the head often cured me — for the time being ( esas cachetes a menudo me curaban, por un tiempo; to cure — curar, sanar). I have known one clump on the head have more effect upon my liver ( Sé que un solo cachetes tiene un efecto mayor en mi hígado), and make me feel more anxious to go straight away then and there ( y me hacía sentir más ansioso ir inmediatamente allí; anxious — ansioso, inquieto; deseosa de algo), and do what was wanted to be done (y hacer lo que había que hacer), without further loss of time ( sin pérdida de tiempo extra = sin pérdida de tiempo), than a whole box of pills does now ( lo que hace hoy toda una caja de píldoras).
You know, it often is so ( ya ves, ocurre a menudo) — those simple, old-fashioned remedies are sometimes more efficacious than all the dispensary stuff (los remedios simples y pasados ​​de moda a veces son más efectivos que todo el personal de dispensario; dispensary — farmacia gratuita para los pobres; dispensario; clínica de consulta externa).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Por la misma razón, no me daban píldoras. Me daban capones. Y, por extraño que parezca, los capones a menudo me curaban... momentáneamente. Sé por experiencia personal que un solo capón actuaba sobre el hígado y me hacía ir de aquí para allá y hacer lo que había que hacer con más velocidad que hoy en día toda una caja de píldoras. Ya saben, ocurre a menudo. Los remedios sencillos y pasados de moda s on a veces más eficaces que todas las porquerías de dispensario.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

the website helps you to get right meaning
And they didn't give me pills (мне не давали пилюль); they gave me clumps on the side of the head (мне давали подзатыльник /по голове/; clump — заросли; ком, глыба; удар). And, strange as it may appear (и, как ни странно это может показаться), those clumps on the head often cured me — for the time being (те подзатыльники часто излечивали меня — на некоторое время; to cure — излечивать, исцелять). I have known one clump on the head have more effect upon my liver (я знаю, /что/ один подзатыльник оказывает большее действие на мою печень), and make me feel more anxious to go straight away then and there (и заставляет меня чувствовать больше желания пойти тотчас, сразу же; anxious — тревожный, беспокойный; сильно желающий), and do what was wanted to be done (и сделать /то/, что требовалось сделать), without further loss of time (без дополнительной потери времени = не теряя времени), than a whole box of pills does now (чем целая коробка пилюль оказывает теперь).
You know, it often is so (видите ли, так часто бывает) — those simple, old-fashioned remedies are sometimes more efficacious than all the dispensary stuff (/те/ простые, старомодные средства иногда более действенны, чем весь аптекарский персонал; dispensary — бесплатная аптека для бедняков; диспансер; амбулатория).
Phi

Post by Phi »

And they didn't give me pills (Y no me daban píldoras); they gave me clumps on the side of the head (me daban manotazos en el costado de la cabeza; clump — bulto; golpe). And, strange as it may appear (y, por extraño que eso pueda parecer), those clumps on the head often cured me — for the time being ( esos manotazos a menudo me curaban, por un tiempo; to cure — curar, sanar). I have known one clump on the head have more effect upon my liver ( Yo e sabido que un solo manotazo tiene un efecto mayor en mi hígado), and make me feel more anxious to go straight away then and there ( y me hacía sentir más ansioso ir inmediatamente allí; anxious — ansioso, inquieto; deseosa de algo), and do what was wanted to be done (y hacer lo que había que hacer), without further loss of time ( sin mas pérdida de tiempo extra = sin pérdida de tiempo), than a whole box of pills does now ( de la que hace hoy toda una caja de píldoras).
You know, it often is so ( Saben, ocurre a menudo) — those simple, old-fashioned remedies are sometimes more efficacious than all the dispensary stuff (los remedios simples y pasados ​​de moda a veces son más efectivos que todas las cosas del dispensario; dispensary — farmacia gratuita para los pobres; dispensario; clínica de consulta externa).

this post was corrected
Last edited by Phi on Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm not sure if we can use "bofetadas" here.
Slapping in the face (bofetadas, пощечина) means "Golpe fuerte dado en la cara con la palma de la mano". Usually girls do it to express jealous, angryness.
Here we have "slapping or smacking someone upside the head", "striking someone in the back of the head with an open palm" (подзатыльник=striking someone in the back of the head with an open palm). Used to stimulate someone who is lazy to do a work or for children if they are naughty. It's a slight hit.
More about it here
They say it's "slapping or smacking someone upside the head", "dope slap", "wallop".
Golpe dado con la palma de la mano en la cabeza.
Colleja: golpear con la palma de tu mano la nuca de la persona.
Capón: golpear con uno de los nudillos de la mano la cabeza de la persona.
https://forum.wordreference.com/threads ... za.358460/
https://forum.wordreference.com/threads ... a.1953594/
I think it's "Colleja" or "Capón"
Take a look please