Student hanle's corner

Students can post their diaries and notes here.
admin
Site Admin

Student hanle's corner

Post by admin »

Have a good day!
I want you to post a short essay about yourself and your aims here. It will help us to pick up an individual plan for you.

I'd like to see answers to the next questions in your essay. You can answer whatever you want (it's just an example of an essay, you may not follow it strictly).
1.How long you have been studying English?
2.What kind of skills you have now? Are you able to express all your thoughts in plain English (in text messages and verbally)? If you cannot then write approximately in percentages how much, you think, you can express.
3.What books (children literature, short stories, poems, novels, fiction, (also it can be some specific like programming, science, engineering books...) etc.) you can read without looking up words in a dictionary? Give us examples (if you have them) of books you have read recently.
Browse our website and tell us what was easy (you can read it without translation) and what was difficult for you to read.
Examples (A-D from easy to difficult)
A English diary (read 5-10 posts from there)
B Writing prompts
C Heart health
D Encyclopedia of molecular biology
E Three men in a boat (read 2-3 excerpts from there)
4.How often you have to use Google translate, English dictionaries to write or to say something? Do you need more time to make a good sentence or you do it rapidly?
5.Tell us of your listening skills. What do you do to improve them? Can you understand some dictations or audio books? (which audio books were easy for you).
6. Listen to the next podcasts
Trees in the forest
A picnic
Windswept
Let me know what is easy-difficult for you.
Listen to "Learning English Broadcasts", "As It Is" on our website and tell us if you understand what is broadcasted there (how much in percentages you can understand).
Broadcasts (scroll down when you are on the webpage)
7.What do you do to improve your speaking skills? Do you have a language partner or someone you can talk to? Have you ever done speaking monologues or recorded your voice?
8. What are your strengths and weaknesses in English?
You can talk about:
Grammar
Vocabulary
Pronunciation
Reading
Writing
Listening
Speaking
Accuracy
Confidence
What do you want us to train you more?
What do you expect to get from English courses?
9.How do you see your ideal English (being able to read everything, to watch English TV, to speak with native English speakers etc.)?
10.What kind of skills do you use or you are going to use in your work and daily life (reading articles, listening to some audio or video content, speaking with colleagues, friends in English etc.)?
12.Do you want us to make your own diary private (visible only for you and teachers)?
13.Do you want to get emails with a mention "Study English" everyday?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Student hanle's corner

Post by admin »

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

hanle

Post by hanle »

Hi, my name is Han, I'm 31 years old and I am from Vietnam. I am a member of the office staff (I'm an office worker) in a company which manufactures golf balls for an export to the the United States.
My work often involves a research, an improvement and a product development in the factory. My boss is half Korean-American. Our team consists of only four members: a Chinese girl, a Vietnamese boy, my boss and me. We often use English in our communication. I've been studying English for more than ten years.
The educational environment in Vietnam is quite traditional. Teachers focus only on grammar and vocabulary. My personality is quite introverted, I often avoided communicating with friends at school. When I went to a university, I had lots of opportunities to interact with English people, however, I was afraid to communicate with foreigners, so I wasted a lot of time. When I graduated a university, I realized the importance of English. My previous job was mainly reading and responding to emails in English and this made me feel lazy to practice my listening and speaking skills. When I moved to a work in a new environment and I had to use English, I felt even more tired and depressed. During meetings I always silently listen to other people's opinions, however, I'm unable to express my own opinions clearly in English, despite understanding other people's words.

I used to collect many materials to learn English such as books, newspapers, and magazines. After reading only a few pages I became bored and gave up. I have subscribed to English training channels on YouTube such as Rachel's English, mmmEnglish, Speak English With Tiffani, apps like Duolingo, Hello Talk, etc. I always feel sleepy when I watch videos in English with theory contents over 10 minutes. I tried to subscribe to channels with entertainment and travel content, however, I pay attention only for 5 to 10 minutes.
Regarding listening skills I often catch only keywords when the sentence is very long. Sometimes I don't understand a speech because people speak quickly. I swallow, link words in sentences. I have a shortage of the vocabulary. When I join meetings I can only understand approximately 50% of what is said, I always think what grammar rules and vocabulary to use because of the habit of translating from Vietnamese into English.
Reading and writing skills. I'm able to read and understand basic texts. One example, it took me one hour just to write an email to respond to the supplier with content ~50-60 words last week. When I read an article with many difficult words I'm very patient to filter out new words, however, I don’t review it in the next day.
If to sum up, all my skills are weak, especially a speaking skill, pronunciation is still incorrect and unclear.
I hope teachers can give me a schedule with an effective learning method. After a few months or years, I can apply English at work and in my daily life.
Finally, I want to say thank you all for making a platform like this and helping everyone.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I made some corrections. Your English is fine, everything is understandable. Your English is quite suitable for chats and short email correspondence. However, you still have to practice much if you want to master academic writing.
I think your problem is mainly psychological because you have difficulty concentrating (At least it's what I got from your post. You have ability to learn English. And you can learn if you want to). Try to find out why you cannot concentrate on learning English. Maybe you are tired at work or it's a noise, people around you, a pain in your back etc. Organize yourself, put your daily things aside, devote your time to studying. 10-15 minutes of English every day is better than 3-4 hours on weekends. Be an active, not passive learner at this time.
=====================================
You use many commas and "then-s" in sentences, it means you have problems with sentence building and you are not sure what sign/word is suitable for your sentence. Try to make small sentences typed correctly and small posts (8-12 sentences).
You can use Context Reverso or any other website.
https://context.reverso.net
You can type there collocations like "but", "such as", "when I had" etc. and it will show you how to build correct sentences with commas, apostrophes, "then-s".
Usually we force students to find mistakes in their sentences by highlighting posts. People memorize better when they do things by themself. Get used to review and proofreading what you type (even after a day, after a week), force yourself, there is no other way in mastering good writing, even great poets correct themself.
Construct sentences in the way you prepare your home for holidays ... wash a floor (add nouns, verbs), decorate your house (add adjectives)... don't hurry.... step back, look around (proofread)... think if others will like your sentence... make a good one then move to another.
======================================
I want to post 3 things that I usually say to all students:
1.Making mistakes is a natural process of mastering foreign language. You shouldn't worry much about mistakes or take it very personally, it's good to analyse and learn through mistakes.
2.No one can teach you English. You and only you can teach English yourself. Think of a teacher as your assistant and language partner, not your boss. Teachers cannot take tests or speak instead of you, the more time and efforts you invest the better result you get in an output.
Read 2-3 pages from the book and post your opinion.
https://easy-english-study.com/why-you- ... nguage.pdf
3.You can master language only by practice, practice, practice. Just write many well worded sentences, listen and speak a lot. Do it regularly and you will be fluent. There are no magic formulas. You just need a supporter and an assistant who will help you in this journey.
Your brain may resist to the exposure of foreign language, in the beginning all words may sound as a noise. It's normal feelings for all learners. Have patience and you get used to it with time.
====================================
Post in Babbling all English words you understand and you can use in sentences (active vocabulary). You shouldn't post all of them at once, add them every day a little (by editing posts). I want to see how rich is your vocabulary.
babbling-f23/student-posts-t389.html
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In the preparatory stage we usually teach students how to make good sentences of different complexity. Grammar is not the main priority here. We still recommend to take some grammar tests for students, because knowing grammar helps you to build sentences with confidence (just a little grammar).
So:
A.We can start from the beginning and study grammar.
or
B.You can come to the website and post your messages about the topics you like. I'll mark wrong sentences, you will edit them. Just numerate your sentences. Do short sentences since long sentences are difficult for you (it's good to start from Present Indefinite even).
For example 1.I wake up. 2.I go to work. 3. I come back home...
C.Your suggestion.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can record your voice introducing and attach to a post in this thread. Teachers will check it out.
speaking-f32/speaking-t60.html
babbling-f23/how-to-attach-images-t41.html
hanle

Post by hanle »

1. I tried to read a few pages of the book "Why you can't be taught a foreign language".
2. I didn't think this book would be difficult at first.
3. However, after reading one page I had to write down lots of unknown worlds and the grammar in sentences was quite new for me.
4. Sometimes I didn't know how to analyse a sentence, I didn't understand meaning of sentences.
5. The content of the book can be roughly grasped.
6. Reading took much time for me because I had to look up new words in a dictionary all the time.
7. It took me more than 1 hour for 1 page.
8. I've read 2 pages today.
9. I hope to read the whole book within 2 weeks :)
Last edited by hanle on Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can install an addon for a web browser, clicking on an unknown word will show you a translation and you can save unknown words and export them in a list after a while
students-lobby-f47/my-english-studying-t84.html
(Scroll down, it's a second post)
Your book must be in .html format if you want to read books with a help of an addon. Search on "how to convert pdf to html" in Google.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Post all words (difficult mainly) that you know and actively use in Babbling (your active vocabulary)
babbling-f23/student-posts-t389.html
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Record and post your voice introducing here (not a song), attach your file to a post in this thread, it's your personal corner.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Let me know if you want to study a little grammar. You can post difficult sentences here. I'll try to explain them.
hanle

Post by hanle »

People cannot care for pets
The cost of the living crisis is worsening, leading some UK pet owners to give up their animals to save money.

UK’s famous Battersea charity is currently caring for hundreds of dogs and cats, and similar centers around the country say they’re receiving record inquiries for dog and cat returns.

Many owners say the additional cost of food and veterinary care isn’t manageable. One owner came to the charity to return a pregnant cat because he was no longer able to afford to care for the cat and her unborn kittens.

The trend follows a surge in demand for pets during the COVID-19 pandemic. UK households are dealing with a huge crisis in their energy bills, and experts warn a recession will come. Some charities warn it can put millions of people into poverty, and they hope that someone will be able to give the animals permanent homes.
===============================================================================================
****Vocabulary:
+Veterinary (adj): UK/ˈvet.ər.ɪ.nər.i/ and US /ˈvet.ər.ə.ner.i/: connected with taking care of the health of animals: thú y
+Pandemic (adj): UK /pænˈdem.ɪk/ and US /pænˈdem.ɪk/: an epidemic of an infectious disease that has spread across a large region đại dịch
+Recession (n): UK /rɪˈseʃ.ən/ and /US/rɪˈseʃ.ən/: a period when the economy of a country is not successful and conditions for business are bad: say thoái Kinh tế
+ Poverty (n): UK /ˈpɒv.ə.ti/ and US /ˈpɑː.vɚ.t̬i/: the condition of being extremely: cảnh nghèo nàn
+ Permanent (adj): UK /ˈpɜː.mə.nənt/ and US /ˈpɝː.mə.nənt/: lasting for a long time or forever: lâu dài
=============================================================================================
1. Many Vietnamese people keep lots of pets in their homes such as dogs, cats, rabbits, monkeys etc.
2. There is a few veterinary care facilities in cities and countrysides.
5. When animals get illness it's difficult to treat them.
6. We have a shortage in care facilities, care equipments and skilled veterinary staff in Vietnam.
7. Many people cannot get a veterinary service for their pets.
Last edited by hanle on Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:43 am, edited 5 times in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

[The cost] is [leading] some UK pet owners to give up their animals to save money
The cost [does what now?] leading
https://context.reverso.net/translation ... an/leading
It's Present Continuous Tense, it describes the current, ongoing movement or activity.
"to give up" is a phrasal verb, all verbs in the infinitive form require "to"
=====================
be (no longer) able to
able to do something (used as a modal verb)
longer is a comparative adjective
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please, post your writing in the form like I posted above, numerate your sentences. Usually we ask students to correct their sentences. Answer the questions I asked you in this thread. Also I think you need to take grammar lessons and start your writing from simple sentences.
hanle

Post by hanle »

1. A bus is the most common mode of transportation for Vietnamese.
2. Most buses in Vietnam are only three colour buses - blue, green, and yellow.
3. A bus colour indicates whether it's public or private.
4. Every day students and workers take buses to go to school or work.
5. People who do not take a bus ride their bikes.
6. A big population and a big number of motorcyclists had leaded to crowds and traffic jams.
7. The government imposed a ban on motorcycles on public roads.
8. However, it didn't reduce a traffic jam in Vietnam.
9. Therefore, the government extended highways and improved widening of roads.
Last edited by hanle on Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think you speak/write using memorized patterns mostly (they are wrong often). That's why I recommended you to agree on grammar lessons
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'll post grammar lessons here. I needed your confirmation to start them. Also correct your old posts with wrong sentences (press the pen shaped button to Edit). Studying English here implies an active student participation. Others can read you and learn through your diary too.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There are two language schools.
1.Those who are against grammar. They claim people speak using patterns, you cannot think of grammar rules when you speak quickly. They are right. However, you cannot memorize patterns for everything, you cannot build long sentences, your lexicon is very poor.
For example, there is the online language school Rosetta Stone. They force students to type 20 times I go to a market, She goes to a market, He goes to a market, They go to a market... Then you have to replace a market with a store and type another 20 sentences. It's boring. Also you may not only go to a market but run to a market or even fly by taking a flying car. In 95% you still go to a market.
2.Those who are for grammar. They say you have to learn grammar all the time because it's a skeleton of any language, you can build long sentences when you know grammar. However, grammar in English is very big, mastering grammar may take a whole life and you may forget to concentrate on other language aspects such as vocabulary, speech, practice. If you dive deeper into grammar you can see it's playing with times mostly (someone comes or leaves at n o'clock), it's useless because you don't use many sentences with specific time in real life, you can divide a long sentence on parts and don't care of grammar much and you will be understandable.
=============================================
So, where is the truth? The truth is in the middle. Memorize patterns and study a little grammar.
Use patterns for quick speech when your goal is to tell someone your ideas, for doctor consultations, for emergency calls, for an informal speech.
Use well worded sentences with good grammar for interviews, for lectures, for speeches in front of a big auditorium. You can structure and write down everything when you have long speeches.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Let me know what do you think of these language schools, what method is preferable for you?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You should try the next tests.
=======================================================================
BE, HAVE, DO, DID, WAS...
Tenses
Difficulties of the Passive Form
Active => Passive voice
Many tests on Active, Passive voice and mix of them
Present Simple
Present Continuous
Present Continuous or Present Simple
Many tests on Present Simple, Present Continuous and mix of them
Past Simple
Present Perfect
Present Perfect or Past Simple
Present Perfect Continuous
Present Perfect or Present Perfect Continuous
Present Perfect Continuous or Past Perfect Continuous or Future Perfect Continuous
Past Simple or Past Continuous
Past Perfect
The pasts
Many tests on Present Perfect, Present Perfect Continuous, Past Simple and mix of them
Many tests on Past Simple, Past Continuous, Present Perfect and mix of them
Future Simple
Future in Present Continuous (Be going to)
Present Continuous (Be going to) or Future Simple
Future Perfect
Future Continuous or Future Perfect Future Progressive or Future Perfect
Future Tenses
Will and Would: a little further
Future in the past
Many tests on Future Continuous, Future Simple, Future Perfect and mix of them
Gerund
Gerunds or Infinitives
Infinitive clause
Infinitive in sentences
Infinitive phrase
Many tests on Gerunds, Infinitives and mix of them 1
Many tests on Gerunds, Infinitives and mix of them 2
For and its use in English
For, During, While
In/into - On/onto
About/At/For/To
At - In - On
Prepositions of time
Prepositions of location
Prepositions: Finding one's way
Prepositions (for / in / of /on / to)
To or For
To - For
at/of/on/to
Verbs and prepositions 1
Verbs and prepositions 2
Verbs and prepositions 3
Verbs and prepositions 4
Verbs and prepositions 5
Verbs and prepositions 6
Verbs and prepositions 7
Phrasal verbs: GET
Phrasal verbs: GO
Phrasal verbs: PUT
Phrasal verbs: TAKE
Phrasal verbs: TAKE, LOOK, GET
Many tests on Prepositions, Adjectives, Phrasal Verbs
Many tests on Particles, Phrasal Verbs
Adjectives -ing and -ed
Many tests on Adjectives
Adverbial Clauses
Adjectives and adverbs
Many tests on Adverbs
Can/Could/May... Must/Have to...
May, Might, Should
Can, Could and Be able to
Modals in Present tense
Modals in Past tense
Modals in Future tense
Must have or Had to
Many tests on Modal Verbs
Participle Clauses
Many tests on Participle Clauses
COUNTABLE AND UNCOUNTABLE NOUNS
A (An) or The
Countable nouns with A/An and Some
The or nothing
Using The or nothing with nouns
Many tests on Articles
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please, take at least 3-5 grammar tests every day and post links, your marks. It's the task for 2 weeks.
hanle

Post by hanle »

I always had to do a lot of grammar exercises. It was incredibly boring. It was easy for me to forget how to make correct sentences after a few months if I didn't review grammar.
Therefore, I'd like to learn using Method 1 this time, then I can apply my knowledge in my daily communication. When I speak with my colleagues or my boss, I often spend much time considering what I should say. In addition, I also want to focus on grammar to improve my writing skills because I often have to send emails to suppliers in English or send orders to foreign companies. I'll start with 2-3 grammar tests every day.
Thank you for your advice^^.
Last edited by hanle on Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
hanle

Post by hanle »

Lesson 1: Active->passive.
Active-passive
My mark: 100.
=========================
Lesson 2: Apostrophe (with video).
Apostrophe
My mark: 87.5.
Wrong sentence: He's bought stamps --> He is bought stamps.
Correct: He has bought stamps.
========================
Lesson 3: Be in the simple past tense.
Be in the simple past tense
My mark: 91.
Wrong sentence: Was Mike good at school? No, he wasn't hopeless.
Correct: No, he was hopeless.
Last edited by hanle on Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:07 pm, edited 7 times in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Try to figure and analyze why your choose was wrong. I marked the posts with wrong sentences by thanking. Please, correct them, you have to do it by yourself. I'll remove thanks when you make right sentences. If you don't work hard, a miracle will not happen and you will not improve. Stay motivated.
hanle

Post by hanle »

Lesson 4
Contractions and auxiliaries
My mark: 81.5
**Wrong sentence:
2. Your cousin’s optimistic. He’s told you that he’d pass all his exams in June; he’d better study seriously, but he’d rather have fun with his friends.
Correct: would
Explanation: "He'd rather" = He would rather" expresses a wish, something which isn't realised at that moment, which is still unreal.

5. He’d hit me before I’d found the opportunity to punch him too
Correct: had hit me
Explanation: Here is a difficulty that you have to overcome. "Hit" may be either "the infinitive without to", or the preterite, or even the past participle. If we look at the end of the sentence closely, we'll find out that "hit" can here only be a past participle and a part of a past perfect. => "He had hit"
before I’d found = had found the opportunity to punch him too.
"Before I'd found" = "before I had found" => the contraction of "had", a part of the past perfect.
Lesson 5:
Do - don't - does - doesn't
My mark: 90
**Wrong sentence:
7. It is a really cheap restaurant, it don't cost much to eat there.
Correct: Doesn't
Explanation: verb form He/She/It +does
================================================================
Lesson 6:
Do/does/did: affirmative, interrogative and negative forms
my mark: 77
**Wrong sentence:
1. Lucy likes chocolate and making chocolate cakes. She wants to make one with her mum.' don't I take six eggs out of the fridge?”
No Lucy, we don't wanna six eggs, but only four.”
Correct: do I take
Explanation:
Lucy wants to make a chocolate cake with her mum and offers to take eggs from the fridge: interrogative form of an "ordinary" (irregular) verb=> "Do I take...?"

5.“Well, Lucy, if you didn't ate the chocolate I bought yesterday, we would have enough…'
Correct: didn't eat
Explanation: "Yesterday I bought" implies the use of the negative auxiliary "didn't eat".

+“Err … Well Mum! I think we had bought more chocolate, then…”
Correct: Have to buy
Explanation: We have to buy" is the equivalent of the modal auxiliary "must", expressing an obligation.
Last edited by hanle on Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:40 pm, edited 9 times in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1)copy an url
2)type the next form
[url= https:// grammarwebsite.com ] A name of a grammar test [ /url]
==========================
The sentences you edited doesn't sound good yet. Since you get good marks, your problem is mainly in concentration. Try to devote more time to studying, don't hurry, proofread what you posted, use a capital letter for a new sentence. You can copy-paste a wrong sentence and search on it in Google, Context-Reverso or use Google Translate. This forum is not for competitions in quick writing, not for "words on the street". We fight for a perfect English here.
hanle

Post by hanle »

Lesson 7:
Do: Insistence - Contradiction - Confirmation
My mark: 80
***Wrong sentence:
1: No, not really, but I'm sure you'll explain... = Confirmation
Correct: Insistence
Explanation: This is the emphatic form. When speaking, should stress the word; when writing, do it in italics.

2. 'Oh dear, I liked this film...' 'I understand that, I do too! It's a great film!'
Correct: did
Explanation: the sentence was in the preterite, the auxiliary used will be in the preterite too.

8. She said she'd follow my advice and she does
Correct: Did
Explanation: "she would follow" has the structure of a conditional. Following the time sequence, we must turn the auxiliary in the preterite: "she did".

10. Lucy never tidies up her room, but Claire does every evening.-->Insistence.
Correct: Short form
Explanation: This avoid the repetition of the verb "to tidy up one's room" in the 3rd person singular.
========================================================================
Lesson 8:
Gone or been
My mark: 58.5

**Wrong sentence
3. Patrick has been to his friend’s for the night. He’ll be here tomorrow.
Correct: gone
Explanation: He isn't back from there, since he should spend the night with his friend.

5. 'She’s went out for a few minutes. She’ll be back in ten minutes.
Explanation: indicates that she left the house, but that she's going to come back.

8. 'Have you already gone to an Australian restaurant?' 'I did and had kangaroo…'
Correct: been
Explanation: is a question about a fact. "Have you ? " or "haven't you ? " If he had been there, he would have been back.

9. Those days of affluence have been! We’re in a crisis now!
Explanation: "Going, once, going twice, gone ! " are the words uttered by an auctioneer during a sale. The object for sale has gone and won't come back.
Last edited by hanle on Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:41 pm, edited 17 times in total.
hanle

Post by hanle »

Sorry, I don't ignore your words, I just wanted to learn grammar tests for a few days. I will be back to corrections my old posts soon. Now, I still don't know how to correct my sentences.
Last edited by hanle on Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Here is the plan:
1.Use a big letter in the beginning of a new sentence and use a dot in the end of your sentence.
2.Pay attention to what you type.
3.Format and highlight your posts.
hanle

Post by hanle »

Can you please show me where you marked by thanking?
I tried to find it and couldn't.
===============================================
Sometimes, I misunderstand your words, sorry and thank you.
Last edited by hanle on Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hanle

Post by hanle »

Lesson 9:
Link: Have you got / Do you have
*Wrong sentence:
1. Mom, look! Tim's father have bought a brand-new car, a red one, this time.
Correct: has
Explanation: It's Present Perfect Tense.
====================================================================================================
Lesson10:
Link: He's or His
My mark: 100
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

hanle wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:04 am Can you please show me where you marked by thanking?
I attached the screenshot. You must Log in to see "thanks".
Attachments
screen-thanks1.png
screen-thanks1.png (27.67 KiB) Viewed 5394 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I see you started to correct posts. That's good, they look better now.
Also try to keep a symmetry and the same style everywhere.
"Correct", "Explanation", "Wrong sentence", "My mark" should be typed using a capital letter in the beginning everywhere.
hanle

Post by hanle »

Sorry to bother you. I logged in but still I couldn't see posts with thanks. Do you have another way to mark posts?
Can you heart wrong posts, for example? It will be easier for me.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes. Now the wrong posts are marked by hearting too (6 posts).
hanle

Post by hanle »

Lesson 11:
Link: How to choose the right auxiliary
My mark: 76.5
Wrong sentence:
1. Don't worry, obviously, he hasn't tell lies in such circumstances.
Correct: wouldn't
Explanation: For the speaker, the fact is clear

3. I shall like to receive such a present.
Correct: Shouldn't
Explanation: <To like >is always followed by an infinitive when preceded by “would”.

5. You shouldn't never eat so much ice cream now. You’ll be sick.
Correct: should
Explanation: <Should > is here the auxiliary expressing both a piece of advice and a reproach.

7. You wouldn't drive over 60 on that road; it’s too dangerous.
Correct: Mustn't
Explanation: “Mustn’t” here indicates an interdiction.
=================================================================================================
Lesson 12:
Link: Learn English: to be in present simple
=================================================================================================
Lesson 13
Link: Passive - active
My mark: 30
Wrong sentence:
2. We shall miss her... ! She shall be missed
Correct: will be missed

4. Nobody had expected to be confined again! Being confined again had been expected
Correct: hadn't been expected

5. Children don't like this syrup at all! This syrup wasn't liked
Correct: isn't liked

6. Do you need any translator to understand what is said? was any translator needed
Correct: Is any translator needed

8. She should take her umbrella, it's raining! Her umbrella should been taken
Correct: should be taken

9. They were building a new school when we were there...A new school 's going to been built
Correct: was being built

10. They smoke herrings in the Northern Countries. Herrings were smoken
Correct: are smoked
==========================================================================================================
*****Structure:
1. Present simple
Active: S + V(s/es) + O
Passive: S + am/is/are + P2

2. Present continuous:
Active: S + am/is/are + V-ing + O
Passive: S + am/is/are + being + P2

3. Present perfect:
Active: S + have/has + P2 + O
Passive: S + have/has + been + P2

4. Past simple:
Active: S + V(ed/Ps) + O
Passive: S + was/were + P2

5. Pass continuous:
Active: S + was/were + V-ing + O
Passive: S + was/were + being + P2

6. Past perfect:
Active: S + had + P2 + O
Passive: S + had + been + P2

7. Future
Active: S + will + V-infi + O
Passive: S + will + be + P2

8. Future perfect
Active: S + will + have + P2 + O
Passive: S + will + have + been + P2

9. Be going to
Active: S + am/is/are going to + V-infi + O
Passive: S + am/is/are going to + be + P2

10. Modal
Active: S + modal verb + V-infi + O
Passive: S + modal verb + be + P2
hanle

Post by hanle »

Lesson 14
Link: Question tags
My Mark: 90
***Wrong sentence
7. We have understood the lesson, haven't they
Correct: haven't we
===================================================================================
Lesson 15
Link: Questions : how to ask them
***Wrong sentence
10. Peter wrote a letter. Who did write a letter?
Correct: Who wrote a letter?
===================================================================================
Link: Surprise; Contradiction; Short answers.
My mark: 70
****Wrong sentences:
1. ' Oh Mom, I was so hungry at lunch that I ate all my vegetables! ' 'Lucy, did you do ?
Correct: did you ?

4. 'You were so frightened that you shouted like mad!' ' No, I weren't'!
Correct: No, I didn't !'

10. 'For a few years, women have been equal to men!' ' They've not'!
Correct: They're not !
hanle

Post by hanle »

Lesson 16
Link: There is / are, and other forms
My mark: 91.5
Wrong sentence:
9. There wasn't been any claim for the gold bracelet that was found yesterday.
Correct: There hasn't been
=============================================================================================
Lesson 17
Link: There, Their, They're
My Mark: 75
Wrong sentence:
1. They're so much work
Correct: There's

3. They're kids are great!
Correct: Their

that theirs now working like mad!
Correct: they're

4. and theirs stranded
Correct: They'
======================================================================================
Lesson 18
Link: TLE : To have
hanle

Post by hanle »

Lesson 19
Link: To be / to have: -ing forms...
My mark:69
**Wrong sentence:
1. my mom have a bath
Correct: is having a bath
Explanation: Mom is having a bath. At the moment she's relaxing in the water.

2. The room have been cleared
Correct: is just being cleared
Explanation:
The room is just being cleared' ( or cleaned). The sentence is Passive Voice and the action is taking place at this moment.
=> ' is being' = auxiliary of Passive Voice + 'cleared' is the past participle.

3. We can leave, now … having a look at the map
Correct: I was having a look
Explanation: Here, the action was taking place in the past

+while you are having still
Correct: were still having
Explanation: Another simultaneous action was taking place at that moment: ' you were still having your breakfast'.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

hanle wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:39 pm I still don't know how to correct my sentences.
You can find a sentence with the same structure or a beginning of a sentence. Use Context Reverso or Google search.
========================
EXAMPLE
hanle wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:03 pm However; after I read one page, I've written down quite lots vocabularies and the grammar in the sentence was quite strange to me.
I'm not sure this sentence is good, so I search on the beginning of the sentence "After".
https://context.reverso.net/translation ... rman/After
I have found the sentence where "After" is in the beginning.
Context-Reverso wrote:After going home, my illness improved everyday.
After+gerund, Past Indefinite
So, the correct sentence is
After reading one page, I wrote down lots of new words and the grammar in sentences was quite strange to me.
It's because we use a gerund with the word "After".
========================
Also you can use Google Translate or ask me in English Chat (English Chat is in the top of the forum, you should post a note on Forum when there is something in the chat).
general-chat.png
general-chat.png (11.53 KiB) Viewed 5227 times
Use these tools for corrections.
At first try to make a sentence by yourself (a draft) and then do corrections. This is one of the powerful technique that I know.
Make a sentence by yourself => Do corrections by searching similar patterns in websites.
You have to do corrections by yourself. I'll help you in the end. Let me know when you are done with corrections and I'll do my final check.
Continue grammar tests and do corrections (1-5 sentences every day).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Since you are a beginner, I recommend you to make simple sentences (4-7 words).
A simple sentence has the next structure
A pronoun (I, you, he, she, we, it), a main verb which shows that a pronoun does something (be, do, work, go, run).
I go, I work....
A complex sentence is difficult even for natives, since people speak and write using memorized patterns mostly. Still, it's a good idea to master complex sentences because you will see them in books and understand them.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you need to post links to your posts do the following:
1.Click a page shaped sign at a left corner of a post.
links.png
links.png (51.14 KiB) Viewed 5222 times
2.Copy html links and paste.
You should get something like this
easy-english-study.com/forum/student-lobby-f47/student-hanle-s-corner-t694.html#p7627
p7627 is a number of the post.
hanle

Post by hanle »

1.It's a rain season now.
2.The weather is bad todays.
3.I have to wear a raincoat in autumn.
4.My raincoat is long.
5.Therefore, I don't wear a raincoat when I ride a motorbike.
6.I'm short sighted.
7.I cannot see people clear.
8.Rainwater enters into my eyes very often.
9.My eyes sting because of it.
10.Thus it's very difficult to drive in a rain season for me.
11.After a 10-minute trip I arrive at work.
Last edited by hanle on Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
hanle

Post by hanle »

I need more time to understand your posts. I'm doing corrections. I'll let you know when the work is complete.
Last edited by hanle on Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
hanle

Post by hanle »

Lesson 20
Link: What's your age?
My Mark: 86.5
**Wrong sentence:
2. He looks in his teens lately (he has a girlfriend Minnie!).
Correct: in his teens

I know he is more old than the age he looks.
Correct: he is much older
hanle

Post by hanle »

Lesson 21
Link: Who's... / Whose...
My Mark: 91
***Wrong sentence
10. Whose come here for the performance at 4 o’clock?
Correct: Who's (has)
Nichols0

Post by Nichols0 »

What type of talents do you currently have? Are you able to communicate vocally and via text messages in simple English? If you can't, then put down in roughly percentages how much you believe you can say.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Nichols0. Please introduce yourself