English writing prompts

FallenShadows

English writing prompts

Post by FallenShadows »

This section is for an aspiring writer to keep the ideas and to look back at progression work later. I find it's sometimes easier to write down all my ideas the moment they come to me, so I created a section to keep all those ideas in one spot. I do not plagiarize. I am doing this because I want to promote creativity on a higher level. What you make from this is your own decision but please be respectful with any criticism and make it constructive.
FallenShadows

The murderer

Post by FallenShadows »

The forest was black like the color of crows, suddenly a shriek pierced the silence. I ran as fast as my legs could take me deeper into the gloomy forest, tears fell down on my face as my legs collapsed beneath me when I curled into a ball with my back against a tree trunk in the middle of the forest fear. Sadness, confusion, worry and anger were only a few of the emotions coursing through my body. The wind's slices pasted me like I am only a slice of paper whenas I tried to remember all the good things my mum and I did together within these past 17 years of my life. I started to wonder what would happen to me now since I am under aged and now I'm an orphan. I guessed life thinks it's funny to play tricks on me. I started to wonder if the outcome would have been different if I had entered the house first and protected my mum from her murderer, if I had let my mum stay at work, if I had stayed at Reece's house and my mum wouldn't be dead right now... and tomorrow I could wake up, go home, soak the smell of pancakes my mum cooked in the morning and could have been greeted with my mum's daily bear hug. But that isn't what happened. I am gripping the necklace my mum gave me, for my birthday last year that has a warning about my condition and a little message for me, telling me everything is going to be okay, but I can assure you nothing is okay right now.

As the light of the sun arose to start a new day, I laid on the no longer, so gloomy forest floor. The rustle of leaves calmed me whenas I slowly arose from my slumber. I looked around... I realized that I have no idea of which way is the way to leave the forest, or any clue of which way I came from, so I was walking around with no sense of direction. I headed north hoping that will lead me to the end of the forest. Eventually I read how big this forest is. Apparently it would take a day and a half to walk from one side to the other both ways if you follow the trails, but there are no trails. If my theory is correct then a path leading east should come soon and once I reach the dusty pebbles stone trail I shall follow it. I finally reached the path leading east, I could hear the trickling of water, so I followed the path till I reached a sparkling blue stream which was surrounded by people. I decided to ask the direction for the fastest way out of the forest. I walked up to the least threatening one. "Um pardon me Sir, but do you know the fastest way out of this forest?" I questioned him whenas he stood up and turned around. He was almost 2 feet taller than me and you could see the frustration in his face because of me. A complete stranger just disturbed his peace and serenity. "Why would you want to leave the forest. It is the life force of all living things, instead of leaving forest you can become one of the living things" the man whispered. I decided that he wouldn't help me and went over to the woman on the stream. "Excuse me Madame, but do you know the quickest way out of the forest?" I requested. "Yes dear the quickest way is three hours to the east and you should meat a road that will lead you directly to the city" she instructed. I nodded and said thanks and went on my way to the edge of the forest quickly. I found myself at the edge of the forest just as the lady said, but once I escaped, I came face to face with two threatening looking police officers. They were looking for someone and their search was not so well. "Did you happen to come across a young man who goes by the name of Autumn Storm?" the one of them who was at ease said. I nodded hoping they would help bring justice to the murderer that committed that horrible homicide in my I guess old house. The recollection of my once cosy home came to mind. "Hello the officer, I indeed have come across Autumn, I assume you are searching for him since he was a witness of a murdering last night?" I told that to the officers in front of me.

Everything I know I was tackled to the ground by the police officer. I was petrified of what was going on. "You are under arrest, for the murdering of Scarlet Storm in your household late last night. Anything you say or do will be used in the court of law. Now you will be staying in maximum security until you are proven not to be the murderer which is highly unlikely" the more aggressive one said while staring down at my small and scrawny body with the look of disgust. After what seemed like hours of driving, we finally apparently got to the place I would be staying, for the time being before my trial I found out I would always be guarded by a police officer who went by the name of Brian Jennings, so he could observe my behavior, interactions and actions. For two days there was nothing eventful, but on the third day officer Jennings came up to me with a letter addressed to me, but it didn't bother me at the time, nor did it bother me someone knew where I was and I haven't contacted with anybody, but everything changed when I read the notes content.

"Hello my little Auty, me and you have a problem. You see your dearest mother told you to escape while her end came, but you see little Auty I only just found out you existed. Which is quite sad, but that doesn't matter at all, you are a disgrace, mistake and well you know what your mum likes. No wonder your dearest mother never let you meet the rest of your family because they would be disappointed of the mistake you are, so here, I give you a very clear warning. I AM COMING FOR YOU. Your dearest mother can't protect you from me now. Can she do it now?" I started hyperventilating, so I once again did the things my mum taught me to do whenever I feel anxiety (this includes focusing on my breathing thinking of good memories and my favorite things and pat my cat Rose). That option was ruled out when I saw my mother death. I tried to think of good memories but seeing as they were all of me and my mother made me worse. So, I just took deep breaths and tried to calm myself, but it was still useless until officer Jennings finally saw what was going on and hugged me until I was back to my average state. "Are you all right?" he asked. After a while I finally composed myself enough to the answer "thank you sir". "What is this letter about?" officer Jennings questioned me. "Ummmm... It's just my best friend asking if I'm okay and asking if the rumors traveling around town and school are true" I told him honestly, but I don't think he believed a single word that came out of my mouth, but he decided not to go with it, not to put pressure on my fragile state.
"Hey... um... officer Jennings, what it's the date today?" I questioned with sadness and pain lurking in my voice which could probably easily be identified by Jennings. "It's 14th of May 1900, why do you ask?" I frowned to his answer this is not how I planned to spend my 18th birthday. I planned to spend this day with Reece and mum. We planned to go to all my favorite places. I probably not even allowed to leave the building alone. I was sobbing because of the pain, guilt, sorrow and disappointment now. It was my birthday today. Reece, mum and me planned to do my favorite things. Obviously this isn't happening anymore. Reece thinks I am a murderer and my mum is dead. I guessed this is what it feels like to lose anyone you love. I sobbed. Jennings got up and grabbed his walkie-talkie and contacted one of his colleagues and asked him to buy a cake. Jennings and Me watched movies while eating ice cream and sponge cake. That's how the rest of my birthday was. Tomorrow was the trial to determine my fate.

An hour before my trial I was sitting with my lawyer and Jennings. My lawyer explained to me what would happen in the court whenas I sat there. I knew that my lawyer believed I did it because of my behavioral problems and mental state, so at this point no one believed me being innocent. He believed I should be put in jail for 16 to 18 years. I decided to find anyone who would believe me. It could be Jennings, so I decided to give him the note that proved I was innocent I instructed him that he should keep that, so at least one person would know the truth and help me get out of this mess if I end up being guilty. We were in the court. On the opposing side of the court was my family lawyer, he decided to take my mother's victim case instead of my accused case, so I got a lawyer the police gave to me. The judge and jury came into the court. I trembled in fear like a trembling string. It was my Destiny and it was in the hands of people who wouldn't believe me anyway. I realized my chances were slim, there were more evidences that I did it than evidences of me not doing it. I was finally called into the court room where I would hear my future. I declared that Autumn Storm was guilty for the homicide of Scarlet Storm in her household last Thursday on the 10th of May 1900. The judge told the people in the court room including me about my punishment, at that point I broke down fell onto my knees shaking as if there were a force pulling me to the centre of the Earth. Another painful bus ride later.

I had finally arrived at I guessed my new home, for the next 17 years. Once I entered in through the front door, I was given a full body search and my new uniform. "All right prisoner 140582, the rules here institute no fighting with the inmates, no theft, manipulation or dealing illegal substances. If you are caught with a stolen or illegal possession your bail time will be delayed, so if you want to get out of here as soon as possible then follow our rules and your stay here will be as good as it could possibly be" officer Miller instructed. I nodded as I was told to change. Then I was transported to my cell, to my luck I didn't have a cell mate at this point of time. I hoped it would have stayed that way. "Up prisoner 140582, it is breakfast time, so step towards the door to collect the tray which we slide to you" officer Miller shouted. I groggily got up in my insomniac state and collected the gloop they call food here. I ate the pieces which seemed digestible.

Almost what seemed to me as three hours later officer Miller appeared again standing before me on the other side of the bars that were as if they were mocking me saying I no longer had a choice in my life and I am only a caged Bird. Officer Miller screamed out my name and told me to go to the far wall of the cell, so they could let in my inmate. My only thought was why I only had one day of the cell to myself. I guessed I would get bossed around when I want to be alone. "Autumn Storm, this is your new cell mate, from now remember no any funny business. I will be keeping an eye on the pair of you" officer Miller informed whenas she pointed Christopher into the cell. Once he was inside the door was locked.

I gulped and fear shivered down my spine whenas he walked closer and closer towards me. He halted when he stood right in front of me. "Well, hello little Auty, you are a lot scrawnier then I thought you would be. I told you that I was coming for you now. Don't I keep my promises, little Auty?... Once we get our time in the court yard I will do what I planned to do after I found out the abomination that is my biologically son exist. It's a shame that I can't kill you right here right now, but you see then they would know it is me who killed you" he told me. Meanwhile he let out a disappointed sigh whenas he swiveled and sat on the bed which I claimed as mine yesterday. I just backed into the corner keeping my eyes on the man before me and slid down the wall till I was crouching letting my emotions and questions consume me letting the darkness take over me because even the emptiness was more calming then this. I hoped that this would be all over soon one way or another.

Day after day the routine became the same. It was as if I was sitting on an endless repeat until finally after a month and a half with no contact with the world out of my cell we were finally released into the courtyard which was an open square in the center of all four buildings. It was very muggy and dreaded area, only time to time reflected on the buildings sunlight hit the ground here. The light was drained like water in a sink. It gave me the sense that there was no hope left. I decided to ask one of the officers if there was a library here, but he just replied with a scoff. I huffed. I went to the end of the courtyard and sat on the floor which probably was not the best idea, but at the time I didn't think of that. I guessed I learned the hard way like most things. My life hasn't been surrounded by light, only darkness and when I was getting beaten up on the cold cement on the courtyard and I was not to retaliate that's when things got a bad turn of a lot darker. It was the day Christopher knocked me out to unconscious state. The last thing I heard was officer Miller screaming at Christopher to get off me.

Three days later I was finally conscious again, when I was awoken to two faces staring down at me. Officer Jennings and officer Miller met me. Jennings looked as if he had been crying and hadn't slept in days which worried me a little and officer Miller looked as if she was looking after a child as she was trying to comfort Jennings. I cleared my throat hoping one of them would explain what happened. Jennings' head shot up as if he had been waiting, for several days for me to clear my throat, he was probably waiting, for signs that I was alive. Officer Miller got up and left the room closing the door behind her. "Autumn who did this to you? how did you know the person? why? I am, so glad you are alive." Jennings told me about my father. His name was Christopher Coals, it's the person who sent me that letter meaning he was the murderer and he harmed me because I was a mistake. I was glad, I replied and smiled trying to lighten the mood. Two hours later I was discharged from the prisons hospital and Miller took me back to my cell. I was surprised when we got there it was the empty cell. I expected Christopher to be waiting there, but he wasn't. Miller explained that he has been put into isolation until the day of his execution. Then I decided to ask "what did he do to get him an execution if you don't mind me asking?" "He is the murderer of a trail of homicides, manipulation of towns folk, assault, kidnapping and theft. I really feel sorry for his family, for having him as a relative, they are really lovely people" Miller answered. "I wish I meet them, but I thought my whole family was dead maybe once this is all over if I could go meet them" I mumbled and went inside the cell to the far wall whenas I was once again left alone with only my thoughts. Two days later Miller informed me that my old cell mate had been executed earlier that morning even though he was nothing but horrible, I broke down for the loss of my biological father. I hoped nothing else would happen.

Cheerful, joyful, happy, excited and relieved were the emotions coursing through me as I was finally being released from what seemed like years in jail, but it was only 5 months Jennings finally found evidences to prove my innocence, the finger prints on the murder weapon didn't match my own, my neighbor who had been in hiding after he saw the whole incident, the note that Christopher wrote and the proof which proved that my lawyer was payed to ensure I would end up in jail because both of the lawyers worked for my father, so the evidence was tainted to begin with.

I can assure you that I never want to go through that again and I am glad it is all over now. After all, even in the worst situations you can get out of them if you have patience and will.