Site Admin

English Diary

Post by admin »

Diary in English.
irina

Re: English Diary

Post by irina »

1 day:
6:30 - I wake up, then I brush my teeth and wash my face, I put clothes on me.
7:00 - I have breakfast. I eat two slices of bread with cottage cheese, ham, a tomato and lettuce and a cup of coffee without sugar for breakfast.
7:30 - I wash a plate and a cup after breakfast, take my laptop, my bag and go to work.
at 8:00 - I arrive at work. During the working day I contact with different clients, do negotiations, prepare different papers...
11:00 - I eat my second breakfast, it's yogurt with muesli and one apple.
13:00 - I eat my sandwich with butter, hard cheese and a cucumber.
16:30 - I finish my work.
17:00 - I go to a store to buy a meal for tomorrow.
18:00 - I arrive at home and I start to prepare my dinner.
18:30 - I have my dinner, I prepare vegetable soup and pork chops with a boiled potato and salad with a cabbage, a carrot, an onion, a little of mayonnaise. I drink a cup of green tea.
19:00 - I wash all dishes after my dinner. Then I watch TV, read a book and have a rest.
22:00 - I take a shower and go to bed. Tomorrow is the next working day.
:)
irina

Post by irina »

2 day:
6:30 - I wake up. It’s very hard for me to wake up early in the morning. Then I brush my teeth, wash my face and put clothes on me. Today I wear jeans, a gray T-shirt and my favorite navy blue sweater.
7:00 – I have my breakfast. Today I prepare a yogurt with cornflakes, two slices of black bread with butter, ham and a sweet pepper and a cup of coffee without sugar.
7:30 - I wash a plate and a cup after breakfast, I pick up my laptop and my bag and go to work.
8:00 – I arrive at work.
11:00 - I eat a banana and oranges for second breakfast.
13:00 - I eat my sandwich with butter, harm and cheese.
16:30 – My working day is over.
17:00 - I go to a swimming pool to have a rest.
18:00 - I arrive at home and start to prepare my dinner.
18:30 - I have my dinner, it's mushroom soup and boiled poultry with boiled rice and salad with a carrot, an onion, a little of mayonnaise and a cup of green tea.
19:00 - I wash all dishes after dinner. Then I read a book and have a rest.
22:00 - I take a shower and go to bed.
irina

Post by irina »

3 day:
6:20 - I wake up at 6:20 because I need much more time to prepare myself. I go to the bathroom to brush my teeth, wash my face and put clothes on me. I wear a black dress and a colorful jacket today.
6:50 – I prepare my breakfast, it's boiled porridge with milk. I cut one apple into little pieces, add a spoon of honey and few nuts. I have green tea without sugar.
7:20 - I wash a plate, a pan and a cup after breakfast. I pick up my laptop and my bag and drive to work by a car. I fill up my car with gasoline on my way.
8:00 – I arrive at work. I have many things to do and prepare for a meeting with my new potential client.
10:00 – I have meeting with a client from Latvia, we discuss possibilities of cooperation.
11:00 - I eat two slices of bread with butter, cheese and sausages for second breakfast.
13:00 – It’s lunch time. I have a potato puree with a fried fish and one cucumber for lunch.
16:00 – I finish my work and I drive home. I stop at a supermarket for shopping on my way home. Today I need to buy some bread, yogurts, cheese, ham, dumplings, banana, apples, vegetables, oranges and lemon.
17:30 - I arrive at home and start to prepare my dinner.
18:30 – I boil ready-made dumplings with meat which I have bought in the supermarket for dinner. I have them with a natural non sweet yogurt. I drink apple juice. I bake apples. I slice an apple and put soft cheese with cinnamon, plum jam, raisins and nuts on it. I bake apples during 20 minutes, temperature 200°C. I drink mint tea. It's delicious.
19:00 – I go to a sport lesson for one and a half hours. It makes me relaxed a lot.
21:00 – I come back home. I take a shower and go to bed at 22:30.
irina

Post by irina »

4 day:
6:30 - I wake up, brush my teeth, wash my face, put clothes on me. Today I wear a gray sweater and black jeans.
7:00 – I prepare green tea without sugar and a sandwich with soft cheese, one egg and a tomato for breakfast.
7:30 - I wash dishes, take a bag and drive to work by a car.
8:00 – I arrive at work. We have a four-hour meeting to discuss our upcoming trip to Dubai for a dental exhibition.
12:00 - I eat salad with a tomato, olives, a sweet pepper, pasta and mozzarella cheese with an olive oil, a salt, a black pepper, two slices of bread with a salmon and I drink black tea with a lemon for lunch.
16:00 – My working day is over and I drive home.
17:00 - I arrive at home and start to prepare my dinner.
18:30 – I boil a potato, fry poultry and make salad with a carrot, an apple and puree with mayonnaise. I drink linden tea with honey and I eat two pieces of black chocolate.
20:30 – I take a shower and go to bed at around 22.00
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

PRISON DIARY OF MICHAEL DOUGHERTY
The book to which these lines form an introduction is a peculiar one in many respects. It is a story, but it is a true story, and written years ago with little idea that it would ever come into this form.
In the following pages is given an account of the daily life of the writer while confined in Pemberton, Barrett's, Libby, Andersonville and other Southern prisons. This was my second experience of Southern prison life. When captured the first time we were not treated as badly as the second time, and no detailed account was kept of each day's doings.
On February 26, 1863, my regiment, the 13th Pa. Cavalry was ordered out on a scouting expedition up the Shenandoah Valley and to rout out what was thought to be a band of Rebel raiders. We captured eight or ten of them and drove the remainder into the camp of the n-th Va, Rebel regiment at Woodsdock, some twenty miles from Winchester. On our return, at Fisher's Hill, we were met by a large force of the enemy, who were lined up on both flanks, and who opened fire on us.
We had a hand to hand fight for over half an hour, but their force and position were too much for us and we were forced to retreat. Our loss in killed, wounded and captured was 108. I had my horse shot under me at Strawsburg and along with fifty others were taken prisoners and conveyed to Richmond and put in Libby prison. We were confined there until May 26th, when we were exchanged and rejoined our regiment at Winchester.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
confine - to be imprisoned.
order out - to be delivered to some location.
regiment - unit of an army.
rout out - to force someone out of or away from some place or thing.
account - a report or description of an event or experience.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I2th. About six this morning enemy appeared in our front and drove in our pickets ; skirmishing all day, assisted by Cavalry. At 5.00 PM we were overpowered, cut off from the division, and 127 of our regiment, among whom was your humble servant, were compelled to surrender. All the prisoners were dis-mounted, The enemy proved to be the advance of General Lee's army; remained prisoner at Jefferson all night.
13th. The rebels took us to Harrington and then back to Jefferson ; had nothing to eat these two days and men very hungry.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
picket - a pointed wooden stake driven into the ground, typically to form a fence.
dismounted - If you dismount from a bicycle or horse, you get down from it so that you are standing next to it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

14th. Marched from Jefferson through Sulphur Springs to Culpepper, distance about twenty miles ; got some biscuit and raw bacon, which men ate with great relish. Took the cars for Gordonsville and remained there all night; the men are tired; the guards strict and will not allow us to purchase anything; prisoners are searched and everything taken from us ; some of the boys hide money in their shoes and stockings to prevent the rebels getting it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

15th. Quite cool here and feel the loss of my overcoat and boots.
16th. Took the cars this morning for Richmond ; we arrived here at 3. 00 P. M. Men are tired and hungry ; marched from depot through the principal streets to the Pemberton building, opposite Libby, got one-fourth pound bread and one-fourth pound of beef; this is the second time we got anything to eat since we were captured.
17th. Rations this morning consisted of about one-half pound of bread and four ounces of beef to each man for the next 24 hours; men are thinking of home and friends and anxious to be paroled or exchanged. Talk of moving us to Libby, opposite here. They say it is a great deal worse than here, but I think it can hardly be any worse than this place.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
depot - station
anxious - wanting something very much
parole - the release of a prisoner temporarily (for a special purpose) or permanently
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

18th. 400 of us were removed this morning to Libby, weak and hungry.The very name of LIBBY has became synonymous of terror. It carries tyranny and oppression in its simple sound. The soldier who is taken prisoner in Virginia vale is at once haunted with visions of this darksome den and shrinks from entering a place so full of bitter experiences as this is known to be. Fierce hate and revenge reign supreme here, and consequently there is a system of discipline which produces a condition such as we might expect when the discordant elements of beings rage unchecked, and we are not surprised to find the culmination reached in almost fiendish expression.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
discordant - dissonant
haunt - to visit habitually or appear to frequently as a spirit or ghost
shrink - move away, especially because of fear or disgust
unchecked - not controlled
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thousands who have been in Libby will rehearse the story of their misery, want and woe to others; so that the echo will scarcely die out at the remotest period of the present generation. Households in coming time will gather about the fireside and talk of their friends and ancestors who ended their days in so much wretchedness because of their attachment to the Union. As their bravery, heroism and constancy are admired, so will it be with condemnation of malice and fury their persecutors.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It may be, and probably is, one of the essentials of war. They should not naturally pre-suppose the absence of all humanity and the annihilation of every condition of comfortable existence as they have seemed to do in almost every part of the South where the Confederate authorities have opened these dens.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The nights are very cold, and there being nothing but gratings in the windows, the men were obliged to walk the whole night long to keep from freezing, and if they can meet with the friendly embrace of slumber at all, it was during the day when the sun would shed its kindly beams upon us and so impart sufficient warmth to our bodies to keep us from shivering.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have seen men draw their bean soup in their shoes for want of a cup or plate of any kind to put it in, and what seemed worse than all the rest, was the almost satanic rule that if a prisoner was caught resting his eyes upon the glad scenes of nature through a window, he must be quickly translated from the earth by a ball of a musket. The whole thing is atrocious in the extreme, but we can expect little else.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
to draw soup in - to put soup in (a plate)
musket balls are the basic type of bullet used as ammunition by guns
to translate - move from one place or condition to another
for want - if you do something for want, you do it because the other thing is not available or not possible
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The Libby building is three stories high and eighty feet in width and one hundred and ten feet in length. In front the first story is on a level with the street, allowing a space for a tier of dungeons under the sidewalk, but in the rear the land sloped away till the basement floor rose above the ground. Upon passing inside we enter a room about forty feet wide and one hundred feet deep, with bare brick walls, a rough plank floor and narrow dingy windows. This room with five others of similar size and two basements floored with earth and filled with debris, composed the famous Libby prison, in which for months, thousands of the best and bravest men that ever went to battle have been confined and allowed to rot, starve, and be overrun with vermin, perish with cold, breathe stifling, tainted atmosphere, no space allowed us to rest by day, and lying down at night wormed and dove-tailed together like so many fish in a basket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
story - a part of a building comprising all the rooms that are on the same level (floor)
rear - the back part of something, especially a building or vehicle
dove-tailed - if two things dovetail or if one thing dovetails with another, the two things fit together neatly or have some common characteristics
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The name of Libby prison will appear to the mind and memory of all Union soldiers as that place where all manner of cruelties have been practiced, and will not be forgotten as long as one of them treads the earth. Oh! my country! the misery and hardships! I am suffering!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
tread the earth - when you step or walk like me (suffer like imprisoned soldiers)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Some of us had been secretly warned that we were going to be searched and that our money and ail our valuables would be taken from us. We hid our money in our shoe soles, buttons, and in any manner we thought would outwit the rebels. While we were thus engaged, a cruel looking rebel officer came in, followed by three rebel soldiers bearing a table and blank books, The officer called out: "Attention ! prisoners, form in line." Some guards were in front and rear of us and we were ordered not to move or talk.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
engage - busy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The officer then said; "I am Major Turner. Provost-marshall of the City of Richmond, C. S. A. I am under instructions for my government to have you surrender to me your money and valuables. Your name, company and regiment will be carefully entered in this book, and when you are exchanged or paroled, it will all be returned to you; for which I pledge the honor of the Confederate Government. I give you an opportunity to save your money, and when I am through taking that which you surrender, you will be searched by men who are experts and all they find will be confiscated."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
be through - to have finished doing something or using something
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

One of our men requested permission to ask a question ; it was granted. The comrade said : "Major Turner, as much as you are acting in the matter of the Confederate Government, will you, as its agent, give us receipts of that government for our money ?" No Sir, I am not here to fool my time away ; I am ready to receive your money and valuables." Considerable money was given up. The searching gang came in (and they understood their calling.) The money put in the brass buttons was lost.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

They tried the button with the jaw of a knife, and if the button did not mash, it was cut off, because there was something in it. They found considerable money, but some was so well secured that it was not found. It is needless to say that we never had returned to us any of the money we gave up.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

October 19th. Rations to-day half a pound of bread and four ounces of beef. Our guards changed yesterday. I think we now have a better set of fellows than those we had. They are more anxious to trade with us. Greenbacks in great demand; seven Confederate dollars for one of Uncle Sam's.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Uncle Sam is based on a real person named Samuel Wilson, who lived in Troy, New York. He owned a meat packing business with his brother. During the War of 1812, he supplied food for the American soldiers. The troops knew Samuel was sending the food and called it “Uncle Sam’s.”
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

20th. Rations about the same as yesterday. We are thinking of home and friends. I have written a letter to my mother in Bristol to let her know of my capture and where I am. I hope she will get it, as I am anxious to hear from home.
----------------------------------------------------------------
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

21. Rations served out early this morning. I have forgotten to mention before that there are about six hundred prisoners in this room, divided into squads of twenty. One man draws the rations for the twenty and cuts it up. Each man has a number from one to twenty. The twenty rations are put out separately on the floor, and one turns his back and the sergeant points to a ration and says, "Who takes this ?" and the man with his back turned to the ration says- "one," "two," "five" or "ten," as the case may be, on up till the twenty are served. This is done to prevent the sergeant from showing any favor to any particular one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
as the case may be - according to the circumstances
favor - to show preference
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

22d. Rations the same as yesterday. The men despondent and anxious to get paroled or exchanged soon. There is a great deal of trading going on here in the evenings.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
despondent - in low spirits from loss of hope or courage
get paroled - release (a prisoner) on parole
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

23d. Rations very small to-day; a mixture of corn meal and flour and only get about four ounces of that, and about three ounces of raw, half rotten bacon for the next twenty-four hours.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

24. Rations about the same as yesterday. Great rumors of a parole this morning. I wish they would hurry, as we are tired of this place and treatment.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

25th. Half a loaf of corn bread and about a mouthful of beef. The rebels say their men only get the same amount. I hardly credit that, as they have an opportunity to get more.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

26th. Greenbacks in great demand this morning ; nine Confederate for one greenback, as they are called here, So you see Yankee money is considered the best by far right here in the hotbed of secession,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
secession - the action of withdrawing formally from membership of a federation or body, especially a political state.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

27th. Prisoners busy making bone rings, tooth picks, chains, etc., and selling them to the guards. And selling boots, shoes, shirts, blankets, and in fact anything in order to get something to eat. Men are very hungry; many weak and sick with hunger. I wonder if our government knows how we are treated. I hardly think the rebel prisoners in the North are treated like we unfortunate beings.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

28th, No change in our rations. We hardly get enough food to sustain life. We cannot live on this treatment long. Some of the prisoners snatch bread and sausage from the guards who want to trade. They snatch it in the dark and then run among the crowd, and of course the guards go in after them. We will do almost anything to get something to eat. Some of the poor fellows are in such a state of starvation that they are reduced to mere skeletons and cannot live very long.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

29th. Rations about three-quarters of a pound of bread, no meat, but a bucketful of bean soup for each twenty men, about twenty beans to the bucket — nothing more than warm water. It has the name of bean soup and that is all. Oh ! what stuff ! but we are glad to get almost anything to try to stop the cravings of hunger. God help us ! If our friends in the North would see us and the pitiful condition we are in, it would bring tears to their eyes. Fathers, brothers and lovers doomed to a death of starvation. Oh ! what a pity that so many brave fellows must die this way.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Better for us if they would take us out in an open space and place us before a battery of cannon and blew us to pieces, than have us dying this way by inches. Some one will have a tremendous account to settle at the last day. To fall in battle is bad enough, but to be doomed to a hell of torture and misery is worse than a thousand deaths.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
inch-move slowly and carefully in a specified direction
settle-resolve or reach an agreement about (an argument or problem)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

30th. Rations the same as yesterday. The guards are more careful in trading, and it is dangerous to snatch any more from them. They swear they will shoot. Ten of our men were taken out to the hospital from here this morning. That is the last of them, poor fellows. There were two of my regiment among them. We will never see them any more, as they are more dead than alive.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

31st. Rations about half a pound of bread and about four ounces of beef to-day. These are the best rations we have received for over aweek. Men are very anxious to be exchanged so that we can get into our lines once more.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

November 1. 1863. Some of the prisoners altering one dollar greenbacks into tens and succeed in passing them on the guards, who were furious when they discovered the fraud, but they have no redress as they are not allowed to trade with the prisoners. The guards content themselves by vowing vengeance.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

2d, Great talk of sending us to Pemberton building, our old quarters, opposite here. They say they must make room for some officers that were captured and that Libby is going to be for them, so that all the officers will be in one place. Well, I think that the change will be for the better for us, as Pemberton is much brighter and we will have the sun shining in on us almost all the day, and that is quite a comfort, for in this place we cannot see the sun more than two hours any day.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

3d. Moved to Pemberton this morning, and as a consequence, we did not get our rations till three o'clock this afternoon, almost starved waiting and not much when we did get it; four ounces of bread and two ounces of beef.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

4th. Things same as yesterday.
5th. Rations a little better to-day. Guards slot at one of the prisoners this morning because he was looking out of the window. The rebels shoot a prisoner for looking at the light of heaven.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
slot-slang used in the British armed forces meaning to kill or shoot
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

6th. No change in the program today. Have nothing of interest to put down in my diary but hardships and misery, and plenty of that. No one can form an idea of what suffering there is here, and no pen can describe the hardships we have to endure, all through bad management in some department, either Union or rebel. There is talk of sending a petition to Washington to see if we cannot be gotten out of here. Our government should not allow its citizens and soldiers to remain in rebel prisons to rot and die. The rebels blame our government.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

7th, About a dozen of our men taken to the hospital, among them one of my company. Don't expect to see the poor fellow again. One of the guards said today that they only take them to the hospital to get them ready for burial, and advised us all to stay where we are, if we had any one to care for us, as at the hospital the doctors are all young fellows who have no experience and only practice on the prisoners. The old doctors are with the army tending to their own men.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

8th. Saw Capt. D. B Meany, of my company, at the window in Libby, opposite here. They say that the officers have all they can to eat. I wish we could say so.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

9th. Rations three-quarters of a pound of corn dodger and about half a pint of bean soup for today. We are used to this and there is no use grumbling but make the best of it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

10th. Great excitement in the building this morning. One of the guards said we would be on our way home in a week, I hope so; Richmond and I will willingly part. There is something the matter today; we can hear the bells ringing. The guards say they are rejoicing over some victory. I hope not. I don't want to hear anything like that.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

11. Rations about the same; no change. Boys are getting slim of clothing, and in consequence are almost frozen these mornings. This place is filthy and full of gray-backs.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

12th. There is great talk of our government going to send us something to eat. We would rather they would send for us. We would not require much coaxing.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

13th. Rations half a loaf of corn bread, to last till this time tomorrow. The doctor is in the building now and he is examining the sick, sending the worst cases to the hospital. He said our government is sending us provisions and that they are at City Point now. Well, if that is the case, there is very little chance for parole or exchange this year.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

14th. It is hardly worth my while to say what we had to eat today. but I must say something. Can see the rebel capitol and the dirty rag on top. We have a good view of it from here, it stands on high ground, almost in the center of the city. Half a loaf of corn dodger and a spoonful of molasses today.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

15th. Doctor in again this morning and sent five to the hospital. One of the prisoners died here last night. Cannot learn his name, but he is from some New York regiment. The Doctor said the provisions from our lines arrived this morning. One of the guards said he was going to have seme of the Yankee grub or it would not be his fault. I expect they will get more of it than we will.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

16th, One month in Richmond to-day. Little I thought they would keep us a month in this place. Rations very poor today.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

17th. Reported today that all the Yankees in Richmond are going to be vaccinated.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

18th. I went to the canal this morning with a squad of prisoners to get some water. Saw my Captain (D. B. Meany,) and had a friendly salute from him. He threw me a loaf of corn dodger. It was a god-send, for I was very hungry.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

19th. Nothing but a half a loaf of dodger today. The guards say that Uncle Sam's rations will be issued to us tomorrow. Two prisoners died this afternoon from starvation. What fine looking fellows they were one month ago. Now they are mere skeletons.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

20th. First of Uncle Sam's rations today. Quarter-pound of corn dodger, large biscuits and about half a pound of corn beef. Men feel more cheerful.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

21. Rations about the same as yesterday. Prisoners in high glee and think that something is going to happen when there is such a change in the program.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

22d. Great excitement this morning about the exchange of prisoners. The prisoned officers across the street in Libby shout to us that all is right now, that the Cartell has been resumed and all hands are going to be exchanged.
----------------------------------------------------------
hands-crew, a group of people who work closely together.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

23d. Rations about the same as yesterday and we feel better. The rebs say we will get fat now since we are getting the extra rations. I think there are some here who will never get fat. Poor fellows ! I have not received an answer to the letter I sent my mother in Bristol. Sent another today. Told her to send me a box for a Christmas present and put some shirts and notions in it. The rebel officers in charge of us say that any of the prisoners who wish to send word home for anything like clothing and edibles could receive them, as an agreement has been entered into by the commissioners on both sides.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

24th. Rations good today. Have as much as we want now. Some of the prisoners who are weak eat too much since the U. S. rations came in and it almost killed them. Several taken to the hospital this morning in a poor condition. They are never taken from here until they are about dead.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

25th. Very cold last night and a cold rain this morning. This is hard on us, as we have hardly any clothing. And oh! how filthy it is here! The prisoners busy themselves two or three times a day to try and rid themselves of the vermin which are crawling all around. There are about three hundred of us on this floor, and as many more on the second and third.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

26th. Rations very good for the last four or five days, but I am afraid it will not last long.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

27th. Rations for today three-quarters of a pound of biscuit and half a pound of beef. The doctor paid us a visit and said we were getting fat living so high. The guards will not allow us any privileges at all and say their government ought to shoot everyday Yankee that is captured.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

28th. Bitter cold last night; no blankets; some of the prisoners have hardly enough clothing to cover their nakedness; rebels took almost everything when we were captured,
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

29th. Two doctors here this morning and they say that all hands must be vaccinated at once, that being their orders from the Confederate Government; no rations to be issued in this room till the work is performed, so the quicker it is done the better.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

30th. Sergeant Webb, of my company and myself were vaccinated yesterday and immediately washed it off and put the cloth on again to close the guard's eye. Usual quantity of rations; raining hard; prisoners making bone rings, trinkets, etc. They want to take something home to remember this infernal place. I, for myself, need no reminder.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

December 1, 1863. Rations not as large as yesterday but it does not do any good to growl. This building was formerly a tobacco warehouse, thirty feet wide and ninety feet deep, contains three floors. There are about seven hundred prisoners here, and a dirtier, smokier, drearier and more unhealthy place, I cannot imagine where so many are huddled together. The poor fellows have little or no clothing, and what we have is filthy and ragged.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We are compelled to eat and sleep as best we can. We are treated more like hogs than men. Just think of it! about three hundred men in a space 30 x 90 feet, lying all over the floor. If you want to go from one place to another, you have to walk on top of those who are lying down, then you are called all the fancy names imaginable; very fancy indeed. It is a wonder some of them are not black in the face in the morning, after using such language. Pity the poor fellow who is caught walking, for he is sure to get a sore head, as they shove him from one to another until they almost knock the daylights out of him. One poor, unfortunate fellow got badly pounded last night. There is very little mercy shown, so the best thing to do is to lie still until daylight. If we have to endure this long. I venture to say one-half of us will die before a month with disease.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

2d. Rations a little better than yesterday. I hardly know what to put in my diary. It is always the same old thing. But I must do something to pass away the time, besides catching gray-backs. If they once get the best of you, it is a great deal of trouble to get rid of them. Some of the men here are neglecting to do it, and they are so despondent and do not seem to care what will become of themselves, and of course that makes it bad for those who are trying to keep themselves clear. Language will fail to convey any of the intense wretchedness one is compelled to endure in prison life in the South. A few who are themselves actors in the tragic scenes may rehearse the story of our individual experience and thus furnish a key, as it were, to unlock the gates through which others may enter and take a look. This is the only way in which the people at large can become acquainted with this thrilling portion of the war, and authentic and reliable statements are, therefore, of deep interest and importance.
-------------------------------------------------
grayback - another term or name for a Redneck or Southern Hick, especially one that is loyal to the Confederacy. This word is derived from the color of the jacket that Southern soldiers wore when fighting for the Confederacy during the Civil War.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

3d. Rations took a little change this morning— half a loaf of corn bread instead of biscuit, with about six ounces of beef and about a half a pint of soup. Some of the men have nothing to put their soup in, and there is a great borrowing of cups, as not one-half of the prisoners have anything to get their rations in, and in many instances use their hats and shoes for that purpose. The guards say we are lucky compared with the prisoners in the other buildings In Richmond. Rumor says that 1500 prisoners have arrived in Richmond inside of ten days.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

4th. Rations about the same as yesterday; no change worth mentioning.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

5th. Prisoners at the old trade of exchanging with the guards for tobacco. I am glad I do not use the weed. Rations four biscuits and about four ounces of pork and half a pint of bean soup for today. Froze hard last night and quite a snow this morning. The guards say it is an unusual thing for this section. We can see the rebel capitol from here and a flag on each end of it. From the view I can get from the windows here, Richmond appears to be quite a large place and contains some handsome buildings. Our windows are iron barred like a Northern prison, and the guards will shoot anyone who sticks his hands out or gets too close to the bars.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

6th. Rations same as yesterday. The guards say to us : "Uuns are eaten 'uuns' rations fast, and uuns will soon have to eat the corn dodger like we 'uns." That is the Southern dialect.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

7th. Doctors in this morning examining the sick. A great many of the prisoners have sore arms from the effect of the vaccination. The doctors say they cannot account for it without it is that our blood is in poor condition. For the life of me I cannot see how it could be otherwise in such an infernal place as this.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

8th. Things beginning to look blue for us since the cutting down of the U. S. rations. We now only receive about half the quantity we did formerly. Several of the boys taken out to the hospital today with their arms in a dreadful condition. I am glad that I washed my vaccination out, or I would be in the same fix as those poor fellows.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

9th. Rations two biscuits and about four ounces of pork per a man.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

10th. Half a loaf of corn dodger, two biscuits and four ounces of beef; better than yesterday. We are glad of that, as yesterday's rations did not last long. I am under the weather today and cannot do or say much. One thing I must do as long as I can sit up, and that is what we call "louse." We are not particular who sees us, for all must perform the same work two or three times a day.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

11th. Some of the prisoners have died from the effects of the vaccination, which gave them such sore arms. It is distressing to hear the moans of the poor fellows. They say that the vaccine was poisoned purposely to kill us. One of the guards boasted of it and said it was true. One of the prisoners was taken out to the hospital and had his arm amputated below the shoulder. The young doctors say they must have something to practice on and that a Yankee will answer the purpose as well as anything else. Rations the same as yesterday.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

12th. Two months a prisoner today. What a change in my condition. I believe I am 25 pounds lighter. When I came in here I was clean and in good health. Now I am in poor health and I am sorry to say dirty and my rags are full of vermin.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

13th. Rations for today three biscuits and about four ounces of beef; better than we have received for some time.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

14th. Quite sick this morning and cannot get up off the floor. A severe headache, neck and head swollen, cannot go after my rations I feel so bad, but I hope I will be better tomorrow.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

15th. Not any better today. I have not tasted anything since this time yesterday.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

16th. A little better this morning. Almost frozen lying on the ground without anything under or over me. I ate a little soup today. I don't care for the rations.